Author Topic: Kate Simms, S.A. author  (Read 4268 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Kate Simms, S.A. author
« on: Tuesday 20 April 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
Am trying to get biographical details about Kate Simms "a successful writer on South Africa” who is connected to my family. Have found the titles of several books I think she's written (Sun Drenched Veldt and and autobiography) and also mention of a Katherine L. Simms which may be the same person.

Family details that I have are scarce. Her grandparents were Rev. Robert Gillespie and Katherine Clendinning Watters- orginally from Co. Down but lived in India. Eldest Gillespie son, Samuel, died March 1928 and obituary mentions a married daughter in South Africa (no name) and Samuel Gillespie (m. bef.1903) is possibly Kate's father but I can't be sure.

Have googled any combination of words I can think on but not finding anything about Kate Simms and wondering if anyone can find anything on her.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Kate Simms, S.A. author
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if this is the family but in the Belfast News of November 1888 there is an article entitled The Indian Mission in which it talks about The Rev Robert Gillespie and his wife and Miss Gillespie - only recently returned from India ...

Another article about The Rev Robert Gillespie's death in 1900.

Tressle
Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 14:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's the family connection. I've lots of newspaper bits from Newsletter, The Missionary Herald, etc.
Katherine Gilleslpie was reported to be in poor health in May 1887 but hoped to return to India in the autumn but next mention I found is the Gillespies returning to India in Nov.1888. Youngest son born June 1890 and she might have died soon after although I haven't found her death in newspaper yet.
Rev. Robert Gillespie died of cholera- I have letter wife wrote to her brother telling her family the news of his last days in great detail which makes very sad reading. The village where he lived in India was named Gillespie-pur after him and I have photos of the village and his grave there.

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 19:16 BST (UK) »
He is a very interesting chap, I have read a fair bit about him and his 'newspaper interviews' but I can't turn up anything about Katharine except her books.  No autobiography or anything. 

Presumably she was born early 1900's.

Tressle :)
Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
I have found an incoming passenger list for a Katharine Simms, born about 1897.  Travelling in 1929 on the Usambara from Lourenco Marques, Mozambique, embarking from Walvisbay. She has a son called Terence and is travelling care of Grindley & Co, (Indian Bankers of Parliament street when I googled). 

Then in 1932 she is travelling again with husband James Simms  on the Guildford Castle leaving from Lourenco Marques, Mozambique and address is given as Northern Banking Co, Royal Avenue, Belfast?. Son Terence James? is 7.  Country of Last permanent residence is South West Africa.

Just caught my eye because of the spelling of Katharine.   

Tressle
Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 19:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for finding that- other than the books it's the only clue (Belfast address is interesting and might mean she did visit her mother's family in Northern Ireland).