Author Topic: Patrick Augustine ONGLEY - death record  (Read 7337 times)

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Patrick Augustine ONGLEY - death record
« on: Wednesday 21 April 10 01:20 BST (UK) »
Good day
This man was born in New Zealand in 1918.
He spent most of his life in the UK, never married. He was a PhD professor in Chemistry at the University of Birmingham at one stage. He visited NZ in 1970, and I believe published his latest book in January 1974. That is the latest date I can pin down at the moment.
I am also assuming he remained in or around the Birmingham area.
His actual given names are Augustine Patrick, but he was more often known as above and published as P.A. Ongley.

Any help for a date of death would be appreciated.
Bryan
Christchurch
New Zealand
Pickett, Parrott, Fitzpatrick, McKeowen

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Augustine ONGLEY - death record
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 April 10 17:13 BST (UK) »
Do  you have his exact date of birth?  If so you can search on Ancestry for deaths from about 1974 until 2005, many of the later ones give a date of birth, rather than estimted age at death.  There is a death of a Patrick Ongley in Chatham Kent, in June 1992 with a birth date of 27 Feb 1919.  I can't see any others and there isn't an Augustine Ongley listed.

Lizzie

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 April 10 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie
Thanks for the reply. I did find that record myself. My man was born in 1918, probably in the November. His mother died in the Influenza epidemic on the 21st. Family lore says she died in childbirth.
That death entry is certainly a possibility, just with a query on the  date and place. I guess if there is no other, that must be the one.
Thanks
Bryan

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 April 10 23:49 BST (UK) »
It could be that your Patrick Ongley died after 2005.  My mum was born in 1911 but didn't die until 2007.  I don't know how you go about finding a death after 2006 (They are on FindMyPast until 2006) however they say this on their website:

GRO has withdrawn the service to sell birth, marriage and death marriage indexes and the last indexes supplied to commercial customers are for 2006 Births and Deaths.

I suppose you could write to University of Birmingham if he was a professor there as they may have some information.  I'm sure there would have been an obituary written about him.

Lizzie

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 April 10 00:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Lizzie.
I've sent off an email to Medway Council (Chatham) - cheeky because they ask for money!) - to see if they have the record of burial/cremation for him there. So we'll see what comes of that.
It's one of those ancestors that I just want to dot the "i's" on.. he's a 1st cousins. So I'm just trying to make his record complete.

Thanks again
Bryan
PS You're up late!

Offline mazzy_lambe

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 February 11 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I knew this man! We all called him Uncle Pat although he was my grandfather, he was a prof of Organic Chemistry. Uncle Pat brought up my mother with my nana in Glasgow and he was mainly based between Glasgow and Birmingham University.

Uncle Pat died in 1980's of TB in Glasgow and is buried next my Nana at Lambhil Cemetary.

Please get in touch and I can send you some pictures.

Kind regards
Marianne

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 October 12 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Marianne,
I tried a PM but it did not go. Could you reply to me? I never got your reply and when I see the date I realise it was sent when we had our devastating earthquake in Christchurch, 22 Feb 2011.
Could you get back to me if you are still registered?
Bryan

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 08:28 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately PMs do not work until members have more than one post.   Mazzy should have had a notification of your reply though, and this one, provided the email address has not changed.

Offline gjervis

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 June 14 20:58 BST (UK) »
Pat Ongley was one of the Chemistry lecturers at the University of Aston in Birmingham when I was there in 1964-1970. He was a real character and much liked. He was partially disabled and had one leg shorter than the other. I don't know what happened to him after 1970 and assume that he left in the 1980's when the University made many changes.

Regards

Graham
Names: Rushent, Husselbee, Husselby, Crutchley, Woodier, Jervis, Barker,

Locations: Staffordshire, Wiltshire, Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Lincolnshire, London

Military: Grenadier Guards, Yeoman of the Guards, Crimea, Army WW1

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk