Author Topic: Wexford Town - connections & tales  (Read 59797 times)

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
Re: Wexford Town - connections & tales
« Reply #27 on: Monday 14 July 08 09:44 BST (UK) »
Steve
Wexford is notorious for using more than one name for street and lanes are worse. For instance Cinema Lane was never officially called that - it is Harpurs Lane but even official records use both.
The same probably applies to Byrne's Lane/Fishers Row. For a time many people only applied Fisher's Row to the few houses facing the harbour.
At present one side comprises of houses built by the local authorities and the other of older houses but the former date only from the second half of 20th century.
The dates problem may reflect other Daltons living there prior to your mothers parents move.
Bakehouse Lane was just where the road narroes going from Swan View into The Fayther proper - almost opposite Danny Morgan's later The Wild Swan.
A large house was built there in the 1970s and it ceased as a lane. Tradition has it that people of the area used the bakehouse ovens to cook Christmas dinners when few houses had ovens - whether they had Christmas dinners is another point.
Nicky
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 18:49 BST (UK) »
UPDATE
Steve
I just checked an old map and Byrnes Lane was officially Fishers Row as far back as 1845.
The joy and vagries of our town and its history.
Nicky

Offline BarryT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 18:12 BST (UK) »
nickr90,
My name is BarryT and I lived in Wexford town from January 1956 to the summer of 1962 when I turned 16. My family moved to Dublin and i moved to the Chicago area in 1970 where I still live. I have very fond memories of Wexford town. My father was a lay teacher at CBS where i went to school. One of my fellow students was Nicky Rossiter and I do remember other students as well as students at all the other schools.
We lived at 1 Saint Ibars Terrace on the Newtown Rd.

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 18:27 BST (UK) »
I reckon it was a slightly older Nicky Rossiter - no relation - who was in your class. I believe he currently lives in Dublin.
Nicky

Offline BarryT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 09 October 09 12:53 BST (UK) »
nickr90,
Thanks for the quick reply. Looking at your profile on this site i see you younger than me, sorry.
  I see that you a have done much research and written much about Wexford. One of my favorite memories is of the three cinemas in town, the Abbey(First run)  then the Capitol and the Royal. Because the last two showed older movies  i became familiar with the stars of the 30's. 40's and 50's. With the arrival of television in 1961 did the Capitol or the Royal survive for long.
   I think the royal was on Cinema lane(I see on another post that you identified thid as Harpurs Lane) , a small side street running from South Main street to Crescent Key. Was the Capitol nearby, on South Main street. The Abbey on Lower Georges street ? seemed magnificent by comparison and having arrived from Kilmyshall(near Bunclody) and before that Terelton, Co. Cork. I am very glad to discover this site, keep up the good work.
                                                                     Barry Twomey

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 09 October 09 13:57 BST (UK) »
I have a recollection of a Mr Twomey - cannot recall the subject.
Your old memory is fading. It was the Cinema Palace in Cinema Lane. The Capitol was at the corner of South Main Street and King Street.
I have just published The Streets of Wexford.
Here is a memory pic for you.
Nicky

Offline BarryT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 09 October 09 17:55 BST (UK) »
My memory definitely failed me on that old cinema. Thanks for the picture of the Abbey. I was last in Wexford town for a day in 1985, showing my wife my old haunts.
My dad usually taught 5th class at the CBS, from 1956 to 1962. I had him as my teacher during 1956-1957 school year. The next year the teacher was Br. Mcgrath. I think the Principal was Br. Gleason. ? My brother is 59 and had a Mr. O' Gara as teacher 56-57. Mr. O'Gara impressed his students by "breaking" 6 inch nails with his teeth.? I think he did this with every new class. In the secondary school the Principal was Br. Keleher. The other teachers I remember were Br. Flaherty, Mr Cullen(science), Mr. Redmond(Irish), Mr Corish(History and Art). a new English teacher Mylie Wickham came for the year 1961-62. He would read Jack Banville's essays to the class, which was when we became aware of his great talent.
My brother has been in Melbourne,Australia since 1971 with his wife and three sons. My sister still lves in Dublin with her husband and three children.

Moderator's Coment- some personel details removed in accordance with Rootschat policy re: living people. Please remember not to include such details in future postings.
www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Offline woodser

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 18 October 09 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

Just found you on Roots chat,My Gt,Gt Grandfather was, according to his Attestation certificate, born in Wexford in about 1790.When he was 17 he was recruited into the Royal Marines by a Royal Naval officer in 1806, he died in Plymouth in 1840 of consumption.He became a sargeant in the 1820's ,the attestation cert.was signed by him which leaves me to believe that he must have been educated to be able to read and write which for this period must have been unusual (Or was it).This info has come as a bit of a shock as I did not realise until now that i came from Irish stock .I have not been able to find out his mothers/fathers name as the certificate does not show any address.Any thoughts on this problem and could you advise me where I should start to look ??

Offline gc1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 18 October 09 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi NicK,

Just had a look at your site and it looks very good. Just a quick question, your sites is mostly about Wexfrod town but I was wondering do you have any information from around the whole of Co Wexford. My ancestors, the Kavanagh's, come from Our Lady's Island in Co Wexford and I would applicate any help you can give me, even if it is to point me in the right direction for more help.

Regards
Gerry
Collison & Watts in Headcorn & Hollingborne (Kent UK) & Michigan (USA)
Kavanagh in Wexford (Eire) Michigan & California (USA)
Salisbury, Burls & Vanstone (UK & Gibraltar)