Author Topic: Wexford Town - connections & tales  (Read 60138 times)

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wexford Town - connections & tales
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicky.  Have been neglecting this site lately but today I enjoyed reading your Wexford history.  My dad Eddie Harpur was born in Fishers Row 1905 but it says Byrnes Lane on his birth certificate.  He lived on the left side of the lane, in one of the last houses before William Street.  Next door was his uncle Rattler Fortune, hence my user name.  His father's name is on the monument to the rescuers of the Mexico.  He was Pilot before his death in 1946.  Keep up the good work.  I have 3 of your books now.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 22 October 09 09:36 BST (UK) »
Ahh the old Wexford double speak. As you may be aware we hate just having one name for a street. Actually Byrne's Lane was the original and in many ways is now the correct name for the left hand side as you go towards The Faythe. Currently Fishers Row comprises mainly of Local Authority built houses in a sort of L shape down to William Street then veering left.
The latest book Streets of Wexford was launched two weeks ago.
Glad you enjoy the snippets.
Here is the area of Byrnes Lane you refer to.
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline biffbiff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,
You know your local history. Maybe you might have some information on my family?
I've tracked down my family GILES to Ballyrahan Kilnahue, Gorey, CO Wexford listed 1911 census. My Great Great Grandfather William ( b 1832), wife Elizabeth ( Barnett) ( b. 1834)and son Michael (b Dec 14,1873) are living on the farm. All indications are that all their children were born in Gorey and that they were born in Ireland, but sadly no town names are listed. They were Roman Catholic and beyond that I have no other information.
My Great Grandfather Henry ( b. Nov 1 1869) was living in Massachusetts by that time as he arrived in the USA in 1892 in New York with his brother Thomas aboard the "State of Nebraska" on September 29, 1892, arriving at Ellis Island.
Other children had moved to the USA as well over the years. The other siblings I have found are Matthew (b . 1861), John (b. Nov 11, 1864), Thomas (b. May 6, 1867) and Mary (b. Jan 6,1872).
I have found records of all of the brothers coming to Brockton MA to visit or live as well as records of family trips to Gorey to visit the summer of 1897. When Henry ( Hy) came to visit that summer his wife Margaret ( Whitty?)and children William, John, Elizabeth and Julia were with him. Henry and Margaret were married by 1891 as William was born in 1892.
I have hit a dead end. Have you any information about the Giles' who had a farm, dairy from the census I am pretty sure.
My cousin is visiting Gorey this summer and will be hunting down  the old family homestead if possible.
 Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 18:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry but Gorey is outside my area of expertise.
Good luck
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline Mariam82

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 16 April 10 16:17 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to say these are so interesting.  Ireland is such a challenge and its great to see all your detail.  My Alice Green was born in Ballyfad and escaped to sunny widnes in 1869 - what a pity for them.
thanks
maria m
Andrew Cavanagh B. Wicklow 1841 - D. widnes 1891 -
wife Alice (nee Green) - later accrington lancs
James & Mary Green- Haslingden m 1806
Peter Belton Burns (or Bolton) Ireland /then Manchester (son William b manchester 1842). Birley family Wigan.   Stafford family Pendleton salford
Devine family Stockport 1832 then Blackley 1861
Lipscomb family (Robert Lipscomb derby)
Stafford family (Margaret - Isle of Man).  Birley family Wigan 1900

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 19 April 10 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick
I have a student in my class who is researching his grandfather, Myles O'Rourke.
The family were butchers and cattle dealers in Wexford Town for almost two centuries.
Would you have any pictures related to their butcher shop?
Thanks
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 19 April 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi.  My Gt.grandfather was Patrick O'Rourke.  The whole family were butchers and cattle dealers.  I have a lot of information in my tree on ancestry.  My Liverpool and Wexford Family History Sight.  Also Ger Dwyer has lots of info and I think there is a sketch of the shop in our collection.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline SALMONOROURKE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am a great great grandson of Marks O'Rourke ,a brother of Mylie's  father Michael ,I would also be willing to help with any research .
                                                          Ger Dwyer     

Salmon-Wexford /Ballinasloe,Co.Galway/Naas,Co.Kildare
O'Rourke-Wexford Town
McLoughlin-Drinagh,Co.Wexford/Coventry
Dwyer-Barmoney,Wexford
Fortune-Wexford
Wexford Social History

Offline elizabeth5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,
You know your local history. Maybe you might have some information on my family?
I've tracked down my family GILES to Ballyrahan Kilnahue, Gorey, CO Wexford listed 1911 census. My Great Great Grandfather William ( b 1832), wife Elizabeth ( Barnett) ( b. 1834)and son Michael (b Dec 14,1873) are living on the farm. All indications are that all their children were born in Gorey and that they were born in Ireland, but sadly no town names are listed. They were Roman Catholic and beyond that I have no other information.
My Great Grandfather Henry ( b. Nov 1 1869) was living in Massachusetts by that time as he arrived in the USA in 1892 in New York with his brother Thomas aboard the "State of Nebraska" on September 29, 1892, arriving at Ellis Island.
Other children had moved to the USA as well over the years. The other siblings I have found are Matthew (b . 1861), John (b. Nov 11, 1864), Thomas (b. May 6, 1867) and Mary (b. Jan 6,1872).
I have found records of all of the brothers coming to Brockton MA to visit or live as well as records of family trips to Gorey to visit the summer of 1897. When Henry ( Hy) came to visit that summer his wife Margaret ( Whitty?)and children William, John, Elizabeth and Julia were with him. Henry and Margaret were married by 1891 as William was born in 1892.
I have hit a dead end. Have you any information about the Giles' who had a farm, dairy from the census I am pretty sure.
My cousin is visiting Gorey this summer and will be hunting down  the old family homestead if possible.
 Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.