Author Topic: McKay Gunn  (Read 3588 times)

Offline hilarygunn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKay Gunn
« on: Wednesday 21 April 10 11:28 BST (UK) »
I have a direct ancestor called John McKay Gunn who told the family he came from Orkney, although in the censuses and on his marriage cert it just says Scotland. So far I have not been able to trace him or his family. I hope someone can help or point me in a suitable direction.

John McKay Gunn born about 1830
On marriage cert gives father as John Gunn, farmer.

He moved to England prior to his marriage in 1861.

Thanks
Hilary

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: McKay Gunn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 20:30 BST (UK) »
Do you have any more info i.e his wife,s name and where they lived on the censuses, does it give his mothers name on the marriage cert? 

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 21:31 BST (UK) »
There is a john gunn born to john gunn and isabella johnston in walls & flotta on 10 nov 1824 ( only one i found who is near the right age )
on 1841 census for walls and flotta at aith: john gunn 35 farmer, isabella 35, isabella 15, barbara 121, william 9, margaret 8, mary 6, george 3, jessie 1 and betsey mackay 15 ( doesnt say what relation  betsey mckay is ) young john is not in walls and flotta on 1841 census but there is a john gunn aged 14 working at the farm of gaitnip near kirkwall.

there are a few mackay families on the census some of them come from scotland
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline hilarygunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 April 10 09:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking. I have his full history from 1861 onwards. He is on the 1861 census as a mailguard, lodging in Normanton, West Yorks. In Aug 1861 he married a local girl, Elaizabth Ann Woodhead, no mother's name on the cert just father JohnGunn, farmer and gives his age as 31.

I have him on 1871 working as an inn keeper age 40.

Finally I have his death cert Nov 1874 giving his age as 45.

Not sure if the age difference rules out the one you found but it is still a definite possibility. The only thing I can think of next is trying to find out what happened to the John Gunn you found in 1841, see if he's still there in 1851 and 61,or close by. If he is then he's not mine.
Is there any possibility you could look for me. I don't know what you are subscribed to but my Ancestry subscripton doesn't cover this.
Thank you again
Hilary

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 May 10 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi again. I can only find 1 John Gunn with father John Gunn ( the one I mentioned ) all the other John Gunns have different named fathers. The one who was on the 1841 census working at Gaitnip is not on any of the later census, but there is one working in Stromness who seems unlikely given the distance from Walls and Flotta. I will try to find out who Betsey Mackay is ( the one living in the house at Aith in 1841 )

The marriage date for John Gunn and Isabella Johnston is 6/12/1823 in Walls and Flotta

Offline hilarygunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 May 10 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks, it's very kind of you to keep looking, I appreciate it.It's a real puzzle
Hilary