Author Topic: chaney family 1841  (Read 16672 times)

Offline stuart vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
chaney family 1841
« on: Friday 25 March 05 07:49 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on the Chaney family of Rochester Kent. William George Chaney was born on the 15th of July 1803 in Rochester and was christened on the 7th August 1803 in the St Margaret parish in Rochester. He was married on the 9th August 1829 at Leysdown on Sea in Kent. In 1846 the growing family were living in Union St, St Gregory, near Canterbury City and WG was a stonemason. He worked on the Canterbury Cathderal for 18 years.

The family left on the “Randolph” from Plymouth for Lyttelton, New Zealand in 1850. WG was married to Sarah Susannah Chaney nee Palmer. They had 9 children between 1828 and 1853. WG came to Christchurch, New Zealand to work on the Cathedral here.

I can't seem to find them on the 1841 census, partly maybe because the census is very hard to read on the sources I have available here in New Zealand. Can anyone help on that?

Also, the various baptisms of the Chaneys appear at St Alphege, St Margarets, Staplegate, the Cathedral and St. Nicholas. I am unfamilar with Kent's geography or baptism practices at that time. Does anyone have a comment on this?

I also have a William Cheney "of Ailsford" in 1724. Where would Ailsford be?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer,

Stuart

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: chaney family 1841
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 05 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stuart

I can't help with the 1841 look up I'm afraid but do you not have any idea of the address at the time (from children's baptisms perhaps) which would facilitate a look up if somebody were able to do one?

Ailsford would probably be Aylesford nearer Maidstone in the Malling district:

http://www.kent-opc.org.uk/Maps/Registration_Districts/Malling.jpg

With regards to the baptisms, Staplegate is what is known as an "extra parochial" area of Canterbury (see Canterbury district above site) but there isn't a Staplegate church - did they live in Staplegate but get baptised in St Alphege perhaps?  I assume you are talking about the St Alphege in Canterbury? This area, is little more than a stone's throw from Canterbury Cathedral.

There is a St Margarets in Canterbury but there are other St Margarets also ie. Rochester.  There is not a St Nicholas in Canterbury but there is in Rochester (Medway district - see above site) as well as others  The film or other resources for the St Nicholas and all the other baptisms would have told you where the parishes were.

More often than not, children were baptised in the parish in which they were born.

Does this help at all  ???

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol_cholsey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 May 05 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart,
I've found William and his family for you on the 1841 census,
ref HO107 486-15 folio 41: parish of St Mary Northgate, Artillery Gardens (Artillery Street runs parallel to Union Street, off of Military Road), Canterbury
William Chaney age 35 stonemason
William Chaney age 9
John Chaney age 2
Sarah Chaney age 30
Emma Chaney age 7
Charlotte Chaney age 2 months
all born in county
Hope this helps with the research,
xx Carol.

WINTON in Sussex & Kent; ALGER, ANTHONEY & MERCER in Rotherhithe, Surrey & Deptford, Kent; WHITBREAD in Shefford, Beds; KEELING in Yorks, Lincs & Leics; BLONK & SEASTRON in Sheffield, Yorks; BENNETT, MILLER, SUMMERS, BOSSLEY, WOULDHAM & SHOVLAR in Gravesend, Kent

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stuart vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 May 05 10:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol,

I am enormously grateful. That is very helpful indeed. If you ever need anything looked up in the genealogical resources here in New Zealand, let me know!

Go well,

Stuart

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 October 05 23:19 BST (UK) »
Do you know who the parents of William George Chaney Or any Siblings?? May link to my family tree

Jim
Jeves, Sparkes, Downton, Chaney, Digby, Jenkins, Taylor, Hiscock, NOAKE, McCabe, Harman, Cuffay, Lloyd, Jamieson Lister,Rimmer,Kryten, Kochanski, Holly                                            Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stuart vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 October 05 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

William George's father was Francis Chaney (died 1845) and his mother Sarah Norris. Siblings were Charlotte Ann, James Henry, and Samuel. Chaney in generations prior to Francis were spelt Cheney, Cheyney or Chayney. Other surnames are Woodhead, Barret and Williamson.

All based around Rochester, Kent.

Thanks, Stuart

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 22:14 GMT (UK) »
sorry about delay in reply but can not find a link at the moment most of the chaney family in my tree come from Rochester,Chatham, and Headcorn Kent but may be a connection further back

Jim
Jeves, Sparkes, Downton, Chaney, Digby, Jenkins, Taylor, Hiscock, NOAKE, McCabe, Harman, Cuffay, Lloyd, Jamieson Lister,Rimmer,Kryten, Kochanski, Holly                                            Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goose

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 February 07 17:15 GMT (UK) »
I have a Mary Cheney in my family tree, she married my ancestor Francis de Frates (or D'Freytes) at St Nicholas Rochester on13/8/1749. Her parents were William Cheney and Judeth Barret. They all (except Francis) came from that area but I have no more information on them. Do you think they could be connected with your Chaneys?
BOREHAM - (KEN/Ramsgate & Sittingbourne/Harriet or Hetty m James Ravensdale)
CHENEY - (ENG/Rochester/Married into the de Frates family 1749)
DE FRATES - (ENG/London, Bishopsbourne, Rochester & York)
FAIR -(LON/London/Hannah m John de Frates)FRENCH - (KEN/Higham/Frances French b 1794; m. John de Frates)
GUTHERLESS - (YKS/Bridlington, York, Malton)
PARKER - (YKS/York and Redcar)
RAVENSDALE - (ENG/Sittingbourne/Stafford)
SWAN - (KEN/Bishopsbourne/Rochester/London)
WILSON - (YKS/York & Leeds

Offline stuart vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 February 07 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Goiose,

yes William and Judeth are definately my ancestors. This is what I have;

William Cheney and Judeth Barret married on the 29th of September 1724 at St Nicholas’ Rochester, Kent. William was born around 1704 and came from Ailsford, Kent. William then had another spouse Barbara Smith. They were married on the 4 December 1838 at St Nicholas. William died on the 23 Feb. 1752 at St Nicholas, Rochester. Barbara Smith had previously been married to Richard Eeles. She born around 1720, and died after 1758. She was christened in the Cathedral in Kent.

225 Judeth or Judith Barrett was born on the 17 March 1706. She was christened on the 16th of April 1706 at St Nicholas Church, Rochester, Kent. Her parents were Robert Barret and Susannah Williamson. She died on the 5th July 1738 in Rochester and buried from St Nicholas.

Williams parents were William and Mary Chayney.

Robert Barret and Susannah Williamson were married on the 12th of February 1697 at St Nicholas, Rochester, Kent.

Cheers,