Author Topic: chaney family 1841  (Read 16673 times)

Offline stuart vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: chaney family 1841
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 March 11 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I just read my reply again, I am not sure why I said Joseph went to Australia - that is a mistake. Joseph stayed on the farm at Chaney's Corner north of Christchurch. My info suggests that his brother William Francis and Emma (nee Ford) Chaney seemed to have emigrated to Australia around 1882, when their son Joseph was married there (perhaps that's where I got mixed up). William's brother John Albert went to Wellington and owned the 'Cricketer's Arms' in Tory St for a while. Lots of Chaneys in Wellington. I am descended from a younger brother Randolph who was born on the ship the Randolph on the way to NZ in 1850. Cheers, S

Offline SarahShallcrass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 September 13 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I too am a descendant of WGC. His daughter Elizabeth is my great, great grandmother.
Love this forum!

Sarah Shallcrass (Erickson)

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 September 13 01:15 BST (UK) »
Sarah

Great to see there are more family out there.

Are you from the Albert Ernest Victor CHANEY/Grace VIGERS branch?  I have very little about Elizabeth, although do have her two marriages and the one child.

Michael Raymond CONNOR, married 05 Nov 1863
Harry SMITH, married 17 October 1914.

I am not directly connected, Wilhelmina CHANEY married my uncle, Andrew SIMPSON in 1873.

Jeni Simpson
Southland, Aotearoa/New Zealand
Simpson, Stout, Strachan, Kidd, Lilly, Champion, Grigson, Bruce, Menzies, Polson, Murray, Livingston, Ross, MacKay, Dingwall, Armstrong, McDonald,

Offline SarahShallcrass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 September 13 01:38 BST (UK) »
Hey Jeni,
I'm not sure where the Albert/Grace ancestry lines up, sorry. I've only just started looking back.
The child you've found for Elizabeth from her marriage to Henry J Smith (Harry) is my great grandfather, via his son Devon Cecil (nickname Bull) Smith. DC Smith's eldest daughter, Cheryl Jane, is my Mum. (she is descended from the Bromby/Brumby family at Mataura through her Mum)

Such a small world we live in!!
Cheers
Sarah

Offline chrysler318

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 23 September 13 12:38 BST (UK) »

Hi Escape,

I'm pretty sure im eric's grandson...one of his daughters Barbara is in the living room.

Anyways still not sure who you are but we shall see if you return to the forum i guess.

Steve

Offline Alison Malcolm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 April 20 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any stories about the Chaney’s? I’m a descendent of William George > William Francis. I don’t really have contact with this side of the family unfortunately. I know Chaney’s corner was lost in a card game but that’s about it! Thanks in advance!

Offline stuart vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 April 20 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Wiliam George Chaney was my 3x great grandfather. He went farming at Chaney's Corner after the money ran out to build the cathedral. WCG had come out from Kent to build it. The farm was then taken over by his son Joseph who died in 1929. The old house is still there. Another son, Randolph, named after the ship on which they came out, was my great- grandfather. He worked in the freezing works in Islington near Christchurch. Stuart Vogel

Offline Alison Malcolm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 April 20 11:00 BST (UK) »
HI Stuart, thanks for the info. Do you happen to have a picture of William George? Thanks

Offline Cherie Hartwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 26 March 21 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stuart, I'm new to all this but am very interested to learn more about my ancestors and their stories and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's posts.  I'm Randolph Chaney's G.G.Grandaughter. His daughter Elizabeth Chaney married David Clements Clarke and their daughter, Edith Clarke was my Grandmother.  I have discovered a Sir Thomas Cheyney who helped build Shurland Hall, Eastchurch, Isle of Sheppey during the first half of the 16th Century. He was a very important figure during the reign of Henry VIII but I'm not sure he is part of our family tree and that it was just a coincidence that William and Susannah were married on the Isle of Sheppey. The spelling of the name changes depending on what you read where. Would you know of this and whether it has a bearing on the Chaney family we belong to? In any case, it'd be great to touch base with a family member to discuss.
Cheers Cherie