Author Topic: Duignan/Deignan/Dignam  (Read 8835 times)

Offline mdd23

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duignan/Deignan/Dignam
« on: Thursday 22 April 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Michael Duignan (Deignan in the US), b. 1877 (possibly in Skryne), County Meath.  He emigrated as a young man (c. 1892) to the US and settled in New Jersey.  Meath Heritage & Genealogy Centre located a possible match in Skryne.  He died at age 33, so little is known of his Irish roots.  His father's name was James; his mother's was Rose. 

I'm hoping there are relatives still living in the area of Skryne who will remember him or his family. Spelling of the surname varies: Duignan/Dignam/Deignaan in the one Irish record we were able to obtain from the centre in Trim.

I would do look-ups in the US in exchange for Irish information on this family. Thank you in advance for any help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duignan/Deignan/Dignam
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 April 10 16:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. As with most research you need to go through all available records step by step or you could end up tracing the wrong person/family without realising it.
Have you found Michael's arrival in U.S.?
There is a Michael Duignan from Meath arriving in 1892 but he's only 14 (and there are other Duignans on the manifest).
Did Michael get married in U.S.?
Most U.S. states asked for parents' names.
What about his death certificate?
Again, most certificate ask for parents (and reliability of details will depend on informant knowing correct information).

Added- does 1900 census list month and year of birth?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 April 10 21:48 BST (UK) »
These are details of some Duignan family members arriving in New York in 1892 that could match the clues you mentioned (these look to be the same records aghadowey mentioned earlier).

Arrival Date: 11 Jun 1892
 Port of Departure: Queenstown, Ireland
 Ship Name: Britannic
 Port of Arrival: New York, New York

Michael Duignan 14 , occ. Labr.
 John Duignan, 10  Child
 Peter Duignan 8  Child

I am guessing that they are probably brothers and they seem to be traveling without parents or relatives, as I dont see other Duignan's listed, or other passengers from Meath. Maybe they were being sent out to relatives .. or to a parent was already in the US ?

They all list place of last residence as Meath and intended destination as NY.

If these details fit what you know then having three family members may make it possible to verify potential birth details in Ireland (by checking parents names are the same) and to trace them on later US records etc

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline blue000125

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Seeking famly of Thomas Dignam married Catherine Weldon InDrogheda Co Louth they moved to Mellifont and had a family Near Drogheda.

Offline blue000125

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 April 11 20:33 BST (UK) »

Offline blue000125

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 April 11 20:35 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Michael Duignan (Deignan in the US), b. 1877 (possibly in Skryne), County Meath.  He emigrated as a young man (c. 1892) to the US and settled in New Jersey.  Meath Heritage & Genealogy Centre located a possible match in Skryne.  He died at age 33, so little is known of his Irish roots.  His father's name was James; his mother's was Rose. 

I'm hoping there are relatives still living in the area of Skryne who will remember him or his family. Spelling of the surname varies: Duignan/Dignam/Deignaan in the one Irish record we were able to obtain from the centre in Trim.

I would do look-ups in the US in exchange for Irish information on this family. Thank you in advance for any help.

Here is my new website for Dignam.  I am workign on Meath and Louth at the moment you can share your stuff here link below

ht
http://dignamdrogheda.comoj.com/dignam%20website/

Offline ftipple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 November 11 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Here is my new website for Dignam.  I am workign on Meath and Louth at the moment you can share your stuff here link below

http://dignamireland.vacau.com/dignam/

This link seems to be dead? I get the dreaded error404 message ...

Fíona
Duignan
(O') Kennedy
(O') Herlihy
O'Dwyer
Cunningham/Cunniam
Boylan

Offline blue000125

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile