Author Topic: Sarah Sams Hardy Death  (Read 14992 times)

Offline graham4472

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Sams Hardy Death
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 26 February 15 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, gosh yes, we were in contact a long time ago.

I can't recall what information we shared.

I have Mary Hardy marrying Charles Ridgewell 1/10/1831. They lived at Petches Bridge Cottages, Finchingfield at the 1881 census. They had 8 children from 1832-1848. So she was away from her mother and brothers when the desperation of losing her husband aged 53, caused her and the boys to get into trouble. She lived nearby though so wouldn't have escaped the fallout. She died in the December quarter of 1885.

I have Samuel marrying Eliza Adcock and their 10 children. My G G Grandfather was Thomas who married Susanna Moore. They only had one son William who married Louisa Cardy. Of their 4 children, Walter Harold married Ada Hardy. Of their 2 sons, Tom (90) is my dad.

I have George William Hardy and his marriage to Henrietta in 1882 in my records but not linked (yet) to Richard and Sarah. The possibilities for his father would be:

- Stephen born 1829 at Finchingfield who married Eliza Rawlinson. They had 4 children: Ellen R, Willie Joseph, Thomas Jasper and Alice Sarah.
- Joseph born 1840 who married Sarah Ann Heard. They had 5 children: Alfred John, Sarah, Florence Alice, Joseph Ernest G and Herbert William.
- Robert James born 1842 who married Emily Emma Turner. They didn't appear to have any children and he died in 1879.

Does this help in any way?

Graham (Hardy), Nottingham, UK

Offline WVCanadian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 July 16 06:00 BST (UK) »
My husband is a relative of Sarah Sams Hardy. His great grandparents were George and Henrietta, buried in cemetery at St. John's in Finchingfield.  He would be a descendant of Samuel, the only son left while his brothers were sent to Australia.  No one seems to know if Sarah survived the poor house or if she died of natural causes. She is likely buried with the other Hardys at St. John's.

Offline graham4472

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 July 16 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I can't really add much. Her marriage witnesses were John and Editha Samms (relationship to Sarah e.g. mother and father, brother and sister or brother and sister-in-law). I did find a census record that she was living with son Samuel at Oustend, Finchingfield in 1841, which implies she survived her 'punishment'. There is a death record in the December quarter in 1843 but it might have been a different Sarah Hardy, there were a few around the area. I really must visit Finchingfield again to check out some facts, but it is quite a journey, although I am a bit nearer than you!
Graham

Offline WVCanadian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 July 16 19:18 BST (UK) »
I will post the genealogy list I have, Graham. If Sarah was buried at St. John's, she could be near the other Hardys, which is down the hill in an area of the cemetery at the back. Sort of a gully but lots of Hardys there. I was in the UK in May but didn't have time to get back to Finchingfield. Realized that the Ridgewells and Hardys are intermarried. Our Henrietta Hardy was a Rudgewell too. I would like to contact any descents of Samuel Hardy. You said he had 10 children?