Author Topic: O'Mara  (Read 9228 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: O'Mara
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 April 10 23:22 BST (UK) »
The only official place to order certs from is the GRO - included in the introduction topic mentioned earlier. (http://www.groireland.ie/)

If you order a research cert using references it costs €4. I am not familiar with any reference checking options, although they will apparently do searches. I have never used this option and I'm sure it costs more and has limits.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline cherry2009

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 April 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
Brilliant! :)

Sadie.
O'mara & Goold

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 April 10 01:16 BST (UK) »

I am not familiar with any reference checking options, although they will apparently do searches. I have never used this option and I'm sure it costs more and has limits.

I've had a few searches done and the basic service is a 3 year search which costs 6 Euro. There is also a 10 year search and (from vague memory) it costs 10 Euro.

However, if you search the Civil Reg yourself and come up with a number of possibles but you know (e.g.) the father's name, you can send them a list of the possibles together with the father's name and you will get the best match for the basic 4 Euro fee. I have done this a few times and subsequent checks with Parish Registers have proved 100% accurate so far. It's particularly useful for births where the child was registered as 'Male' or 'Female'.

Dara.

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 April 10 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I'm just keeping an eye on this thread as I have Meara/ Mara/ Marah with or without the "O" in my tree
My lot were from Co. Kerry though back in the mid 1800's
Good luck with your search, Sadie
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Monivea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 06:16 BST (UK) »
Hi i think thats my grand uncle you are looking for. He was known as frank to his close family, was in the raf, got married in england and had two daughters.was born here in ireland in monivea, where we live now. His father was andrew a police man with the ric and mother was rita. He had two sisters peg, my granny and annie. Really confident its the same guy. Could u e mail me on (*) thanks a million! Deborah

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline cherry2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 17:14 BST (UK) »
The O'mara I'm looking for had one daughter and one son as far as I know. Happy to help but not sure the same person.

Sadie
O'mara & Goold

Offline moyles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Sadie.
I am sure it is the same man. Came from Monivea, County Galway, Ireland. His father was Andrew, who was a retired policeman. His mother's maiden name was Marguerita Kennedy. Her father was John Francis Kennedy, who was also a policeman. He served in the RAF during the war and he died in Bolton sometime in the mid 1950's. Too many coincidences for it to be anybody else.
Regards.
John.

Offline cherry2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 18:05 BST (UK) »
Are you related?... perhaps you could send a personal message with daughters names and/or where he served in Raf?

It does seem too many similar life events! 

Sadie.
O'mara & Goold

Offline moyles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi sadie.
Can't send personel messages yet. My cousin has been in contact. Frank O'Mara was my uncle. His sister was my mother. I never knew him. I was only about 5years old when he died. As far as I know, the family never used O'Meara. However it is possible that his father was known as Andrew Mara when he was in the Royal Irish Constabulary. I had the RAF service number 623706 texted to me today from Ireland. I am not sure where they found that from.
Regards.
John.