Author Topic: Layston Church-Buntingford  (Read 12273 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Layston Church-Buntingford
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 April 10 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

two cemetery's to play with here ... the one around the church is all pre 1900 burials - post 1900 is in the new cemetery which is very much alive so to speak. Your Grandfather would be in the new cemetery with all the other 1930's burials.

Thanks for the clarification Martin. I didn't realise that there were two cemeteries.
That accounts for the LDS film only showing MI's up until 1900 as these must have been the old cemetery transcriptions.

Martin, Do you know if there are any other graveyards around the other churches in Buntingford?

Good luck Keith, hope you find your grandfather's headstone inscription.

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Church123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 April 10 07:43 BST (UK) »
I think the new graveyard around St Bartholomew's is the only one in Buntingford - some time ago the local coucnil tried to extend it but the local tax payes voted it down !!

Its also nearly full - few more years and there will be no room at the inn .....

These documents are good for info ...

http://www.hertsfhs.org.uk/hfphs30.html

very cheap and have good diagrams of layouts but it all requires the headstone to still be there .... and this I fear is Keith's problem.

I have most of the MI books for the local area so if Keith knows where his Grandad was married or anythign like that we can track it from there

Martin
Interested in Butt's, Crowch, Slatholme, Turner, Turnor in Layston and Buntingford in Herts

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 April 10 11:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Martin

It looks like HertsFHS has some very interesting books. I'll follow up some of those.

Much appreciated

Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 May 10 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith,

You asked about W B Moss.

There was a shop in Hitchin, Herts situated at the bottom of Brand Street on the High Street with such a name. You can find a picture of a small part of this shop and a bit of it's history on the following web site:

"aroundhitchin.net"

I remember this shop as a boy as it stood by  the town bus stop at Moss's Corner (named after the shop). Buses would go all over the place. Luton; Bedford; Letchworth plus loads of local villages.

This shop will be connected to your W B Moss of Buntingford. Buntingford is about 20 ish miles from Hitchin. I'm not sure, but I think the Moss's were Hitchin folk.

Benzol
Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)

Offline TinTin123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 December 10 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

My family are all buried in Layston Church yard, I visit often if you like I will look for your grandfathers grave while I am there.I will be going there in the next couple of weeks.

Dave

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 December 10 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

Thanks for your kind offer for which I will take you up on it. I wouldn't worry about spending too much time on it though as I am led to beleive that a family member went looking for it decades ago and couldn't find it.  I am coming over there in May/June and it is on my list of things to do but should you find it in the meantime all the better. Good hunting.

Keith.
Henwood (Oxfordshire)  Conder (Cambridgeshire,Hertfordshire)  Daniels ( Bedfordshire,Warwickshire,Buckinghamshire)

Offline TinTin123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 December 10 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

I visited Layston church yesterday,I had a good look at most of the headstones,unfortunatly I could not find your Grandfathers.

There are a lot of stones that are un-readable now, and a few that have no headstones.I will look again for you when I go  just to make sure.

Have you tried the dioscese for Buntingford as they will have a map of all the graves,names dates etc.

Dave

Offline beedan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 December 10 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

Thanks for trying. I will try checking the dioscese while I am over there in May/June.

Keith
Henwood (Oxfordshire)  Conder (Cambridgeshire,Hertfordshire)  Daniels ( Bedfordshire,Warwickshire,Buckinghamshire)

Offline Squiddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 December 10 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,
I have been given the task of computerising the records for burials at Layston Church, I will have a quick look through the records for you and see if I can spot any information about your Grandad, it may take a little while as there's quite a lot of information.
The records I am working through go back to late 1800 to present day
Fingers crossed ....
Angie