Author Topic: John Tucker born 1870  (Read 17320 times)

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Tucker born 1870
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 September 09 11:39 BST (UK) »
It's a new on me too, with such different spellings. On the other hand Tougher (I think it's that spelling) brings up Tower on IGI. It must have been the accent, perhaps a bit gutteral and indecipherable to delicate registrar ears--Only a guess though.

I also searched Ellis Island, I couldn't see anything for definate, but may have missed it. BUT they brought up many more spelling alternatives.
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 September 09 11:51 BST (UK) »
I can understand Tougher being misheard as Tucker either on entry into the US or sometime later on.. 

At least this new line of enquiry has links to Co. Longford and your original thoughts on the county of origin.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 14 September 09 12:09 BST (UK) »
On the other hand Tougher (I think it's that spelling) brings up Tower on IGI.

Have to amend the above , not those spelings, must have been 2 others of the many variations.
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline lucytuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 01:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much. I did copy the 1911 census for an Ann Toher.  Thank you for your help.   :)

???I am not sure if this is the right ancester.  It seems Ireland is harder to trace ancesters in than England, what with the name changes.    My John Tucker would have been in the United States before 1890, as he was married in 1892 in New Jersey.   She came from County Leitrim.  They also lived in New York.  He did leave Elizabeth Callahan (with 4 children).  She remarried two more times, the last time to a "unknown Sloan".  She is also in the suffragette parades n 1919 in New York.  But I have no other information about John Tucker.  Just that he was married one time before Elizabeth and that he left her with 4 children. 

I did print out the 1911 census for Ann Toher.  Thank you all.
Tucker, Callahan, Stewart, Monahan, Moore, Williams, Casey, McDermott, Leahy, Killty, Matthews, Barraclough, Love, Dunlop, Leigh, Walker, Evans, Hirst, Roper, Schofield,

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi lucytuck,

Where did you originally get the information his parents were Andrew Tucker and Anne Casey from Longford was this on his death or marriage cert etc?

Ger

Offline lucytuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 00:48 BST (UK) »
No, oral history from Elizabeth Callahan (who came from County Leitrim) to her daughter, to her daughter (my aunt).  We have nothing in writing except the marriage in 1892 in Newark, New Jersey.  And they did live in Brooklyn. 
Tucker, Callahan, Stewart, Monahan, Moore, Williams, Casey, McDermott, Leahy, Killty, Matthews, Barraclough, Love, Dunlop, Leigh, Walker, Evans, Hirst, Roper, Schofield,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 08:46 BST (UK) »
1900 U.S. census (and other years) available on LDS Pilot site:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=allCollections;r=0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lucytuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 17 September 09 03:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much-- I have been going through, and although I have not yet found Tucker or Callahan, I did find my great grandfather and his father -- Moore.

I will keep searching through.  Thanks a million! :) :D

Offline maureenms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 28 September 09 03:22 BST (UK) »
Hello
JOhn " JAck " tucker was my great grandfather. His parents were andrew tucker and mary cleary. He married elizabeth callahan from co leitrim in newark NJ @ st patricks in 1892.

I am looking for jack's birthplace and the name of the town, also where his parents are buried.
I don't know if he ever became a US citizen. Is is possible the Family name Togher was anglicized at ellis island as my grandparents spoke gaelic and perhaps it sounded as tucker?

Interesting and may be why I could not find the records in Ireland.

Any info woud be appreciated. Elizabeth Callahan was born spet 8 , 1873 and I am trying to find out where i. the town in county leitrim and her siblings. Jack's as well.

I assume Jack's first wife caey died as he married elizabeth in  nj in 1892