Author Topic: Bachelor's Walk casualties 1914  (Read 6804 times)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
Bachelor's Walk casualties 1914
« on: Saturday 24 April 10 16:09 BST (UK) »
I am always reticent to open the floodgates, so would like to try to keep this thread to the names of those injured.

As I understand it 3 people were killed and one man later died. the only place I see the names of the dead is in the song

Mrs. Duffy, James Brennan and Patrick Quinn died in the shooting, and thirty-two were injured. One man died later of bayonet wounds.

Does anyone have, or know where to get, a list of the injured. I am looking in particular to know if one of these two children appeared among the injured, Julia Moore aged about 10 in 1914 or May aged about 9 then.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Bachelor's Walk casualties 1914
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 April 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
Mon July 27th - Jervis St Hospital

Patrick Quinn, age c50, 1 Gardiner's Lane - DOA
 Mary Duffy (an aged woman), 20 Upr-Liffey St - DOA
 James Brennan, 7 Lwr Birmingham St - died soon after admittance
 John Connolly, 4 Nrth Richmond St - critical, not expected to live

will get the details together on the injuries and pm them to you..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 April 10 17:01 BST (UK) »
Shane

Thanks, thought you might have access to them  :)
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 April 10 18:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks

It is quite startling that virtually all the wounded were men.

I guess a child would show up if it existed among the wounded.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline IrishMedals

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 April 10 00:09 BST (UK) »
One of those injured was the father of the legendary singer Luke Kelly, the father, also called Luke, was crossing the Ha’penny Bridge at the time. One of those killed died as a result of bayonet wounds received when he and two other men attempted to drag one of the soldiers out of the ranks. It wasn’t surprising that most injured were men as both the Irish Times and witness statement at the inquests stated that the crowd consisted of around a thousand people mostly young men. The officer in charge, Major Alfred Haig was struck several times in the face with bricks, he had been on leave on the day but was ordered to report to Sackville Street (O’Connell Street) to assist. The strength of the Borderers is given as around 150 to 200. Haig initially attempted to return to Royal Barracks (Collins barracks) were the Borderers were garrisoned but the crowed followed continually showering the Borderers with bricks and rotten fruit. When they reached Bachelor’s Walk Haig ordered 20 Borderers to line up facing the crowd, 10 standing and ten kneeling and prepare to fire, Haig claimed he never gave the order to fire. The official verdict was simply that ‘promiscuous firing by 21 soldiers took place without orders’. 

www.irishmedals.org

Offline dublinbook1916

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 April 10 20:01 BST (UK) »
I am always reticent to open the floodgates, so would like to try to keep this thread to the names of those injured.

As I understand it 3 people were killed and one man later died. the only place I see the names of the dead is in the song

Mrs. Duffy, James Brennan and Patrick Quinn died in the shooting, and thirty-two were injured. One man died later of bayonet wounds.

Actually a 4th died there, but she is often missed.  Alice Brady (age 15) was also killed and she is buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.

On 26 July 1914 at 6.30 pm, following retrieval of the Howth
Rifles, four civilians were killed and more than thirty-five were seriously injured when fired on by the King’s Own Scottish Borderers (quickly nicknamed the ‘King’s Own Scottish Murderers’ by Dubliners). About one hundred of the Borderers under the command of Cpt. Cobden had marched toward Howth to the Malahide Road where there was a confrontation with the Volunteers. The troops continued towards the city and were met along the way by a further sixty men under the command of Maj. Coke. They were harassed by civilians along the route and when they turned from Sackville Street onto Bachelor’s Walk the command was turned over to a Maj. Haig.
Those killed were James Brennan (eighteen), Mrs Mary Duffy (fifty, she was the mother of a soldier serving in the British army), Alice Brady (fifteen), and Patrick Quinn (forty-six).

The above is from my book.  I am not trying to sell books here, but will be glad to give info if I can.

http://www.lilliputpress.ie/author.html?author=Connell%2C+Joseph+E.A.

Offline elizabethalice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Sylvester Pidgeon was also a casualty of the Bachelor's Walk incident.   He died of his wound on the 24th September 1914 at. Jervis Hospital. Sylvester was buried at Glasnevin Cemetery on the 28th.

Offline Barkerk2610

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 June 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have, or know where to get, a list of the injured. I am looking in particular to know if one of these two children appeared among the injured, Julia Moore aged about 10 in 1914 or May aged about 9 then.

Interested in John (Jack) Connolly.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 June 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
Strangely if Alice Brady was aged 16 and from Luke St she died from what look's like Tetanus due to gun shot wound to right hand from a revolver.

the date was 1st January 1914 at Patrick Duns Hosp
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1914/05312/4477998.pdf

edited to add
http://johnny-doyle.blogspot.com/2013/01/alice-brady-dublin.html