Author Topic: BOOK: Immigration and Aliens  (Read 6254 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
BOOK: Immigration and Aliens
« on: Friday 25 March 05 14:02 GMT (UK) »
On a flying visit to England, I had a bit of time to spare so I went to the Bedford library and browsed ....

I found this book:  Immigration and Aliens from The National Archives (TNA)

It gives masses of details about the different Immigration and Alien legislature, and information about    which records were and are available for different time periods.

One VERY interesting fact: before 1905 there were almost NO controls for entering and staying in the UK.
The first Aliens Act was passed in 1905, but it wasn't till 1914 that alien registration became mandatory !

The book gives lots of sources both within the TNA (Record groups, etc) and others,
as well as internet links e.g. www.movinghere.org.uk with details of what will be found on these sites.

This book covers:
- Naturalisation and Denization,
- Internees
- Refugees (Huguenots, French emigrés, Rformation, 19th Cent. Refugees, Polish, Spanish and Russian and Polish Jews)
- Aliens and Registration
- Spies
- Deportees
- POWs                                                                           
- Passenger lists (immigrants and emigrants)

There is an appendix listing all County Records Offices, complete with a summary, which records each CRO (still) has.

Whether you buy it, or lend it out from your local library, this book is a must for anybody with Immigrant ancestors !

Immigration and Aliens
Roger Kershaw and Mark Pearsall
Pub.: The National Archives  GBP 12.99
UK Library number: 929.3 Ker
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: BOOK: Immigration and Aliens
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 05 10:52 BST (UK) »
Just tried the link www. movinghere. org - it was all adverts and asking if you wanted to buy the domain name, so I guess it's out of date?
Barbara

Moderator Comment: just edited the web-address so that it is not a link anymore
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 05 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

Ooops !!!

Should have been:  www.movinghere.org.uk  with a .uk

The other site must have noticed that too, and decided to capitalise on the "near misses" !!

Thanks for pointing it out, I've now amended the original post.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline cullen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 August 05 10:50 BST (UK) »
Bob,

That's great info. I will try and find the book at my library and will look at the moving here link.

Cullen
Simmons/Simmonds -Sussex
Hall - Cuckfield, Sussex
Allen - Sussex
Glenister -Bucks
Allen - Bucks
Young - Bucks
Haynes - Clerkenwell/Shoreditch, Mddx & London
Cullen - Waterford, Ireland
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aida56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 September 06 17:00 BST (UK) »
I tried to search the certificate of naturalisation of my mother in law im the national archives. After hours and hours of searching I found that I cannot view her certificate because it is less than 100 years. As I do not know the exact year (between 1936 and 1955) it will be impossible for me to order it!!!!!!