Author Topic: Thomas BLACKWOOD & Bessie GIBB Fossoway, Kinross, Scotland  (Read 9963 times)

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas BLACKWOOD & Bessie GIBB Fossoway, Kinross, Scotland
« on: Monday 26 April 10 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hello there

Not sure if anyone can help but was hoping a post here might turn something up.

I have Thomas Blackwood ( my 10x Gt Grandfather) born c 1633 - Wood Of Coldrain, Fossoway And Tulliebole, Kinross, Scotland.   Thomas married Bessie Gibb c 1631 in  1658 in Fossoway, Kinross, Scotland.  These details are from IGI and other contacts.

On my research I found 1 child for them :    John Blackwood c 1661 Fossoway, Fife, Scotland

I have found three possibilities of Thomas's parents....
  • James BLACKWOOD & unknown married 1628 Wester Aldie, Fossoway And Tulliebole, Kinross
    they had 3 sons Robert 1629,  John 1631 & Thomas 1633 all in Wood Of Coldrain, Fossoway And Tulliebole, Kinross

[li]Laurence BLACKWOOD & Jean Patoun Wester Aldie, Fossoway And Tulliebole, Kinross
they had 2 sons John 1631 & Thomas 1633[/b] in Wester Aldie, Fossoway And Tulliebole, Kinross, Scotland    
[/li]
[/list]

I need help in working out which parents belong to Thomas

if anyone can help it would be much appreciated  :-)
Davis, May, McAuliffe, Hanks, Jetson, Merrifield, Curtin, Collins,  Achilles, Fenner, Hourigan, Crocker, Chapple, Mormon, Stephens, George, Richards

Online garibaldired

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas BLACKWOOD & Bessie GIBB Fossoway, Kinross, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 May 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
If you look for children of this couple on the IGI you will see there are sumissions for other children. The only thing I would suggest is to look at the ancestral file (on www.familysearch.org) for Thomas Blackwood and find out who the submitters are and contact them direct to see if they can help.

This has worked for me in the past.

Best wishes,
garibaldired

Offline Kinross Museum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 15:15 BST (UK) »
Two Graves in Crook of Devon 7 and 27
Three Graves in Tullibole 10. 13. 14.
One Grave in Old Fossoway 6

This is probably of no interest but there are 3 indexed Blackwoods in the transcript of the 1662 assize of the Witch Covin at the Crook of Devon.
Kinross Museum is independent, Owned by a Charitable Trust
(Scottish Charity no. SC 027144) and run by Friends and volunteers.
It is financed by donations, Friends' subscriptions, fund-raising events, grants, and sales from the Museum shop. Entry to the museum is free.

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 September 10 14:24 BST (UK) »
Thank s for the info.....

Do any of the graves have names attributed them?

I had read about the Witch Coven but couldnt see connections.  COuld be there but need more information.
Davis, May, McAuliffe, Hanks, Jetson, Merrifield, Curtin, Collins,  Achilles, Fenner, Hourigan, Crocker, Chapple, Mormon, Stephens, George, Richards

Offline Kinross Museum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 September 10 17:30 BST (UK) »
Two Graves in Crook of Devon 7 and 27
7.  Jas Crawford late farmer Aldie 6.6.1859 72, w Jean Blackwood 29.2.1860 75
27.Geo Paterson 12.8.1881 79, w Jean Blackwood 2.7.1873 76

Three Graves in Tullibole 10. 13. 14.
10. (TS) Jas  Russel VDM, w Janet Blackwood 2.11.1780 38, chn Elisabeth 2.6.1779 7m, Thos 15.7.1779 5, Margt 6.3.178(5 or 8 ) 17, Helen or mrs Johnstone 26.3.1842 65; Janet J. 1842 (see Small i 378 for rev Jas Russel)
13. (TS) Thos Blackwood of Wester Coldrain .11.1691 64, w Bessie Gib .3.1683 45; T B  BC;  I B MA; 1720 ploughshare and coulter, etc. as in 7; (in latin) John B. son ....; John B portioner in Coldrain 30.6.1733 71; carvings spade, share and coulter
14. Wm Blackwood of Wester Coldrain 3.4.1812 62, two yt chn Chr at Graigow 20.7.1814 6and Thos in vicinity of Glasgow 22.7.1834 29

One Grave in Old Fossoway 26
26. (TS inscription round edge, in relief) Lauranc Blackwood who departed (part broken off) Keltoun of Alie d 2.12.1682 48:
IB   MD
AB  DB

Witch Coven
James Blackwood on the 5th May was part of the Nomina Assize.
Thomas Blackwood in Coldrain on the 21st July was part of the Nomina Assize.
Thomas Blackwood in Coldrain on the 8th October was part of the Nomina Assize.

Nomina Assize = Jury
Kinross Museum is independent, Owned by a Charitable Trust
(Scottish Charity no. SC 027144) and run by Friends and volunteers.
It is financed by donations, Friends' subscriptions, fund-raising events, grants, and sales from the Museum shop. Entry to the museum is free.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 September 10 18:01 BST (UK) »
I've 'removed' the the smiley for you- caused by typing 8 + ) together so I've just inserted a space between the two.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!