Author Topic: Chisholm's of Antrim and Donegal  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Chis34

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chisholm's of Antrim and Donegal
« on: Monday 26 April 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to research a branch of my family that seems to cross a couple of counties.
I have a grandfather, William John Chisholm, who was married in Carnmoney Cof I in 1912 to Margaret S Follis. His father was also William John Chisholm a farmer, presumably also of Carnmoney but I have no definite proof of this.
William John and Margaret went on to live in the Ormeau and Stranmillis areas of Belfast.
However the family history indicated that there was a fairly large family (at least 5 siblings) and they came from Donegal.
There are Donegal families noted in the 1911 census that could be suitable but again I have no proof. (there were also a lot of Chisholm's in the Carnmoney area at one time.
Does anyone have any knowledge of any possible connection between the families?
I have some information from the census and possible internet sources.
Any information would be great.   

Offline simmonstown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Chisholm's of Antrim and Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 15:12 BST (UK) »
I noticed your post and I think I can help you indirectly.If you go to the following site http://mcgrathfamilyhistory.com/ and open the CHISM family file , I think you will find all you need and indeed more. Your William is on page 11 and all the details on other pages around this. Good luck with your search and thank John McGrath for all his hard work.

Offline Chis34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Chisholm's of Antrim and Donegal
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 22:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information and direction. The website proved to be a great source of information indeed and it has taken me some time to go through it all. In fact, I'm still reading and referring to the pages on an almost daily basis. The result appears to be a direct and strong link to the Ballyshannon area of Donegal much as the oral family history suggested. There doesn't seem to be any direct connection to the Antrim Chisholm's except that my grandfather ended up getting married in the same church as a number of others of the same family name. Surely too much of a coincidence? Something to look into then and if anyone can offer any further information it would be greatly received.
Finally a last word of thanks to John McGrath for all his terrific work on looking into the family roots. A wonderful piece of work.