Author Topic: Abel family  (Read 9416 times)

Offline dragon58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abel family
« on: Tuesday 27 April 10 15:19 BST (UK) »
hi, im searching for any information on edward abel, born in Prestiegne, in 1720, he married Elizabeth Abel, born in Prestiegne abt 1721, they had a son john abel, born 1744 in Prestiegne.
any information would be appreciated.

Offline elea5or

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Abel family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 July 10 22:21 BST (UK) »
hi dragon58 i,m researching my family history from Radnorshire .I,ve looked at Presteigne parish records between 1730 to 1810 and could not find a John Abel b.1744 . There was a John Abel b. 1754 who was a brother of my 5 grt grandfather who,s father was a John and mother Ann. elea5or
catherine mary abel b1870  presteigne

Offline Fionah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Elea5or,
Is there a baptism for the John Abel 1754 you mentioned? Or anywhere you know I can get early Presteigne parish records outside of the Record Office?
I'm interested in all early Abels of Presteigne & immediate area.
My line is complicated - my gt gt grandfather was registered at birth (1849) as Edward Thomas, son of Ann Thomas but he was brought up as son of George Roe/Vaughan/Abel & said Ann Thomas, and mostly known as John Abel.
Fionah

Offline elea5or

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 June 11 19:27 BST (UK) »
hi fionah i,m still doing my family history (abel,s of presteigne) . The Edward Thomas son of Ann i,ve followed through the censuses.I have his death as Edward John Abel d.1923 age 74 Warwick . The George Roe  I believe to be George Abel son of John Abel who was the son of Thomas Abel. My family came fron George Abel Thomas,s brother. have you any moor news. elea5or

Offline Fionah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 June 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Elea5or,

You & I are on the same route then, though it's been a hard one to deduce! The 1923 death for John in Warwick area is correct as the son of Ann Thomas, he died at Mallory Court, Bishop's Tachbrook. I too think George Vaughan / Roe / Abel are one and the same, and he was certainly brought up as the son of John Abel (if only I knew if he was the biological son!) I have yet to find out where the name Roe came from.

I am also a tad confused by the switching of Abley's Green & Scotland St as residences and a seemingly odd combination of jobs for John Abel, father of George V/R/A - which is why I really need to see the Presteigne registers, just in case I have inadvertently confused two separate John Abels. Also I have different possible interpretations of the earliest Abel generations which need sorting - if possible without marriages to support.

Fionah

Offline elea5or

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 June 11 19:29 BST (UK) »
hi fionah In the 1841 census George was down as George Abel b.1828 living in the high st. while the other Abel,s was living in scottleton st. In that family there is a John Abel b.1791 Thomas,s son and an Ann Abel b.1796 dau. of George -Catherine they were first cousin,s  posible marrage i,ll have to check parish reg. Also a Laura Roe Abel mar.1874 presteigne  George,s daughter. There was a family of roe,s in presteigne George could be adopted.