Author Topic: Catherine Wishart birth abt 1811  (Read 10354 times)

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Wishart birth abt 1811
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for coming back to me and the help you are giving.

As I said previously, I had wondered whether the George and Mary Wishart in the Beauly 1841 census were my gt grandparents, particularly as George is a Cooper.  After checking the 1851 census (a longshot I know!) they are both missing so I presume they died between 1841 and 1851.  I had checked SP already a few months ago and there are no deaths/burials recorded which could relate to them in Beauly unless they died somewhere else (ie at a child's address).

I will check out George and Mary and see if I can find out any additional information on the IGI or SP.

Interestingly, when I googled Cruivend, it is about 2 miles from Beauly!

I have had a brief look on SP and the IGI for a marriage between a George Wishart and a Mary Ferguson/McDonald but as yet haven't had much luck.  Of course, their marriage may not be recorded on the internet sources available yet  :o

Unless there was another George Wishart who was also a cooper, married to a Mary, then like you I am inclined to agree that this probably is my family, but hopefully time will tell.

Will let you know what I discover.

Thanks again.

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 May 10 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Kilko

Just a little update on  my Wishart family you have been helping me with.

I have followed through a George Wishart, born 1811, Cromarty to a marriage with a Margaret Hossack in 1835, Cromarty and was lucky enough to find his death cert on SP in 1890 and guess what .... his father's name was George Wishart, his occupation, cooper (!) and his mother, Mary McDonald. 

They had 5 children from what I can see, one in Stirlingshire and the rest in Fife (one place being Largo where alot of my other Scottish family come from, namely Cummings which I have posted on) and I have even been able to track one of those children, Donald McDonald Wishart even further (he changed his name sometime to Daniel).

I havent been able to find anything out for Mary Wishart born 1808 so either the records dont survive, she didnt survive, or I just cant find her.  ???

Will keep you informed ...

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 October 11 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have today come across the following marriage on SP:

Mary FERGUSON
Alexander McDONALD
21 June 1790
Inverness, Scotland

It is also on the updated Familysearch.

Having looked at the original at SP, there is no other information except for the couple's names.

I now wonder whether this is what I have been looking for in that Mary Ferguson married Alexander McDonald who subsequently died and then she married George Wishart as a widow? 

I have still not been able to find a marriage between George Wishart (with various spellings) and a Mary Ferguson or McDonald.

I have, however, found the following 2 extra children after using my detective skills  ;D

Margaret Wishart born abt 1793 Inverness,  who married (interestingly!) a John McKenzie and died in 1861 (her death cert confirms her parents as George Wishart and Mary McDonald).  I can only find her in the 1851 census in Inverness (name is down as Wishet on Ancestry) with her son who is an erand boy, Hume McDonald McKenzie (born 1835 Inverness).  I cant find Margaret McKenzie in 1841  ???  On her death cert, Margaret was aged 61 which gives a birthdate of about 1795.

Hugh Wishart born abt 1799 Inverness (shoemaker) who married Janet Robinson and died in 1859 Beauly.  I have been able to find him and his family in the 1841 and 1851 censuses in Beauly.

Therefore in view on the above, George Wishart and Mary Fergusson/McDonald's marriage must have taken place after 1790 but probably around 1793-1795.

I would be glad to receive your comments please.

Thanks in anticipation ...

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 October 11 20:21 BST (UK) »
Chapel Yard Inverness

Erected by Mary MacKenzie to the memory of her beloved mother Margaret Wishart who departed this life 3rd June 1861 aged 57 years.

The Priory, Beauly

Erected by the Rev John Wishart ------- in memory of Hugh Wishart, Shoemaker who died 29th Oct 1854. Janet Robertson his spouse died April 1871. Jessie their youngest daughter died 2nd Dec 1928.

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ghostwhisperer

Thank you so much for the 2 MIs - do you have photos of these at all please?

I also wonder whether you have more MIs to both these areas as I am still trying to track down the burials of George Wishart and his wife, Mary Ferguson/McDonald any assistance would be great please!

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 10:44 BST (UK) »
Priory Beauly. Stone very worn

The photo of the stone in Chapel Yard, I have either numbered wrongly or I may have overwritten it  :-[. I hope not. I will go through them later today and see if I can spot it.

I cant see anything amongst my stones for George Wishart & Mary Ferguson.

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Very many thanks for the photo relating to Chapel Yard, Inverness.

Can I please ask whether this is a private list of MIs you have made yourself or is it available to look at somehwere?

Also, are you familiar with Beauly and if so, do you know whether there is a burial site that would have covered this village please?

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 12:57 BST (UK) »
If you look below my post I have a list of my sites. The photo above is from The Priory in Beauly. I must have overwritten the Chapel Yard pic but will get it the next time I am in Inverness. Other graveyards around Beauly are Kilmorack Old & New, Old Kiltarlity, Tomnacross, Kirkhill, St Mary's, and Eskadale all of which I have covered most of.

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Many thanks for the assistance you have given.

I look forward to hearing from you when you have been to Inverness regarding the other MI and photo.