Author Topic: places in the countyof Roscommon  (Read 15630 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: places in the countyof Roscommon
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 May 10 10:06 BST (UK) »
From 1864 onwards all marriages came under civil registration so the 1868 one should be in the civil index. Hopefully LDS Pilot Site will soon be fixed but there are normally several reasons for not finding a marriage in the index such as name spelt differently or entry left out from index.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline johnros

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 May 10 11:13 BST (UK) »

Have you done a “Google search” for “ Kilbride Catholic parish Roscommon Ireland”. It will show the names of the churches, photographs and details of the burial grounds in Kilbride Catholic parish.
The names of the two churches in Kilbride Catholic parish are:
St Brigid’s in Fourmile House, Ballinderry townland and
St Mary’s (Our Lady of Lourdes since 1959), Derrane townland
There is a current book “Elphin Diocese The Diocese of Elphin, People Places & Pilgrimage, Francis Beirne, 2000, ISBN 1 85607 299 1. It gives the history of parishes and churches in Elphin Diocese
Irish Civil marriage certificates are inexpensive. For details visit Schedule of Fees as provided by the General Register Office
Fees Payable by The Public To the General Register Office
http://www.groireland.ie/fees.htm
xx
If you provide names of the Bride and Groom I may be able to help.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 May 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks Shane for the info.
I can't find any civil registration of there marriage in the Kibride parish on the family search BMD index as you say they are not reliable at the moment.

Note the marriage reference on the Civil Index will not state Kilbride - both likely townlands (Ballinderry & Derrane) mentioned by johnros are in the Registration District of Roscommon, and this is what the index will include.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline johnd2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 May 10 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks Johnros for the info and also to Claytonbradley for the name of the church at Fourmile house.
I paid the 5 € for the marrige record from the IFHF website, but i cannot find them in the civil registration records.
There names are Partck Duffy and Margeret McKeon or McKeown hope you don't mind having a look for me John.
Many thanks
Regards
John Duffy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 May 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
I found a possible match under the name Pat Duffy on the civil index :

Name: Pat Duffy
 Registration District: Roscommon
 Event Type: Marriage
 Year: 1868
 Volume Number: 18
 Page Number: 297

I couldn't find any cross match for Margaret on the Civil Index but I did find a possible match for the marriage on the new extracted marriage section on familysearch under the name Bridget :

Marriage Date: 01 Oct 1868
 Marriage Place: Kilgefin, Co. Roscommon, Ireland

Groom's Name: Pat Duffy /  Age: 25 / Father: Pat Duffy

Bride's Name: Bridget Mckeon / Age : 18 / Father: John Mckeon

both were previously unmarried

As far as I can see, Kilgefin is quite close to Four Mile House - just over 7km to the east.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline johnros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 09:49 BST (UK) »
The LDS British Isles Records set of 16 CDs didn’t include the marriage of Patrick and Margaret. Your best bet is to buy the Civil marriage certificate (the photocopy of the entry in the register is cheaper and more accurate).

At the 1857 Griffith’s Valuatiom John McKeon occupied one acre of land and a house, each valued at five shillings in Fairymount townland Kilgefin Civil parish (Kilgefin Catholic parish). See the map at http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/ballaghRC.html

Visit http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/ros_par.html to see the locations of Kilbride and Kilgefin Civil parishes. For easier to read maps check your local library for the Resource County Roscommon 2009 CD.

For details of change of occupiers of land in Fairymount townland, County Roscommon, visit http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/People/JohnHunter/Index2.pdf
At 1857 Griffith’s Valuation Patrick Duffy occupied 14 Acres worth seven pounds and 10 shillings and a house valued at ten shillings

Offline johnd2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane & Johnros
I have a marriage record for Patrick Duffy and Margeret McKeon that took place on the 01 Oct 1868 in the parish of Kilbride. There is very little information on the record no fathers names or addresses or the name of the church. The other only info is the witnesses a Michael McKeon and a Catherine Cullen. i don't understand why they are not on a civil index so i could get the civil marriage certificate.
Its a coincidence that a Pat Duffy and a Bridget McKeon is married on the same day as the above people in the same area i would be greatful for any ideas what is going on here i wondered if they are related, is it possible that Pat Duffy is Patrick Duffy's brother and Bridget and Margeret McKeon are sisters.
I have info of their son Michael Duffy born on the 20 July 1869 Ballyleague district Roscommon and christened on the 25 July 1869 Kilbride parish Roman catholic are these one and the same place?
I would be geatful for any further help you may be able to give on the above.
Many thanks.
Best wishes
John Duffy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Do you have the actual civil birth certificate for the son Michael born in 1869? If not, am wondering if mother might not be listed as Bridget rather than Margaret (I have a church record where the priest wrote the wrong mother's name on a baptism and it was only becuase I thought the eldest son should also be in the register that the record was finally found).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 23:42 BST (UK) »
I would think that the fact that it's the same grooms name, same bride's surname, exact same date and in the same area as the cert transcript you have,  means that it is worth following up - as there could easily have been a mix up recording the names in either the church, civil, IFHF or familysearch records.

The location reference of Kilgefin on familysearch maybe in relation to the civil parish covering some of the same area  RC parish of Kilbride

Do the ages (25 & 18) fit with the later info you have for the couple ?

Shane
My Surname Interests