Author Topic: Morven SMITH - Tasmania  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Scott_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Morven SMITH - Tasmania
« on: Monday 03 May 10 07:09 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the parents of my 2nd great grandfather Morven SMITH, born in Tasmania(?) about 1853. He lived in the Cygnet area, at least in the final years of his life.

I have this info from the Colonial Tasmanian Family Links database:

SMITH, MORVEN
Birth   By 1855 -    [AO]
Marriage/Relationship:   1881 - FRANKLIN, TASMANIA  (  JACKSON, SUSANNA  )  [AO]
Death:    
FAMILY INFORMATION
Children:   
268715   SMITH FRANK   1882
268716   SMITH GEORGE   1884
268718   SMITH ELLEN   1886
268717   SMITH ALFRED   1888
268713   SMITH ALBERT WILFRED   1891
268711   SMITH MILDRED SUSANNAH   1894
268712   SMITH ARTHUR CLYDE   1896
268714   SMITH CHARLES WALTER   1899

Also this from the State Library:
Headstone of Morven SMITH . Died in 1917 aged 64yrs. Source: Cygnet St Marks Anglican

I've also found him at the NLA website in family notices in the Mercury, and references to him in the war records of several of his sons-- but nothing about his parents.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Yorath, Cockroft, Redfern, Moore, Ives, Thiessen, Hyde, Daley, Boatswain, Hibditch, Hunt, Dodimead, Stocks

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grandmother, Myrtle Isabel
    • View Profile
Re: Morven SMITH - Tasmania
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 10 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott_D,

The term AO attached to both his and Susanna Jackson's birth records means

"[AO] indicates data added, and verified from other records, by the Archives Office"

Maybe it might be worth contacting the archives office through their public enquiry service listed here http://www.archives.tas.gov.au/aboutus/hours

They are saying there is a possible 6-8 week delay due to high demand........or you call give them a quick call to ask if they noted what other records they used to verify these births.

Cheers
Siouxsie
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Hutton : Edinburgh, Scotland
Downey : England
Ingram: St George East, Middlesex and New Zealand
Roberts : Grafton, NSW
Blackadder : Grafton, NSW
Gillett : Grafton, NSW
Brocklebank :Carkettle, Lancashire
Bowes : Ulverston, Lancashire
Rose : Bo'ness, Linlithgowshire, Scotland
Kelleher:County Cork, Ireland
Shepherd : Helpringham, Lincolnshire

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 May 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott-D

You may have to apply for his death certificate.This should give you the information you are seeking.
I could not find a birth for a Morven Smith on the Pioneer Indexes.There are quite a few births with names not recorded so your Morven may be one of those. >:(

http://www.justice.tas.gov.au/bdm/deaths

Johngirl

JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline Scott_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 May 10 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks both. I think I'll order the death certificate and maybe see what else it can tell me.
Yorath, Cockroft, Redfern, Moore, Ives, Thiessen, Hyde, Daley, Boatswain, Hibditch, Hunt, Dodimead, Stocks

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott-D,

Yes that would be the best thing.As he died in 1917 it should give you his parents names.Thats if the informant actually knew them.

This may also be of some interest to you. Click onto the S then scroll down for the information on Morven and Sussanah Smith.

http://coad.neuf.fr/names.htm#S

Here is also a link to the Graves of Tasmania site where it has details of who is buried at the Cygnet St Mark`s Anglican Church.

http://gravesoftas.dyndns.org/Graves%20of%20Tasmania/Municipalitys/Port%20Cygnet/St%20Marks%20Anglican%20Cygnet.htm.

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline KerryD19

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott,
Morven Smith is my Great, Great Grandfather, in your list of children you were missing Alice Jessie Irene Smith born 1901.
I would be interested in any information you can find on Morven's parents, I've found on Ancestry that his mother was Ellen Magee and George Smith, but the date of birth for George is not clear, it is suggested that he was born in Australia in 1790 and that Ellen was born in 1821, meaning he was 31 years her senior and that he was 65 when Morven was born.
Cheers Kerry

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 May 21 08:25 BST (UK) »
Death certificate, Tasmania 1917, will record birthplace.....years in the colony
(if born elsewhere).....age at marriage/s...children numbered as male, female, alive, deceased.

When Morven dies, 1917, his wife Susannah is still alive, and would likely be the source of information on his death certificate, even if she is not named as informant.

Use this web site  Graves of Tasmania - http://www.gravesoftas.com.au/

to locate an image of headstone, St Marys Anglican Church Cygnet, for Morven, son Arthur Clyde (KIA 1918) and separate headstone for Susannah, died 1942.

Morven is described as died 65th year which would encourage you to think that his exact birth date is known to his family?

Interesting that with several sons, some of whom have two given names, that his name Morven is not continued to his own family.  Just something to note.

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 May 21 04:39 BST (UK) »
Morven Smith although it looks like Marvin was baptised on Sept. 16 1855 at Port Cygnet by Rev. Robert Crooke to George Smith and Ellen Magee (Archives reference NS876/1/37-39) Appears to have been a twin as his brother William was born and baptised on the same days?