Author Topic: McGinlay/McGinley, Raphoe, Donegal Research Advice?  (Read 4981 times)

Offline Ronbucks

• RootsChat Member
  • The Lion Rampant;The Flag Of The Kings Of Scotland
    • View Profile
McGinlay/McGinley, Raphoe, Donegal Research Advice?
« on: Monday 03 May 10 08:02 BST (UK) »
I was wondering where is best to look online for more information on the McGinlay/ McGinley family from Raphoe ?, Donegal ?  They would appear to be of RC faith.

I made a breakthrough last night for this family by finding my first Irish BDM record on the new Family Search, Ireland, Civil Registration, 1845-1958 website.

I have only found the 1864 birth of an Prudence McGinley the eldest youngest child of seven so far and what appears to be a 1849 marriage certificate for her mother Catherine Spence, husband's name not given.

Regards

Ron
Brown, Easson, Baird, Wilkie, Winton, Minto, Devine, Hill, Porter, Bruce, Halket, Martin, Watson, Devine, Galloway, Fernie, Abercrombie, Skirving, Hunter, Aitken, McNair, Wishart, Tyrie, Smith, Fairweather, McLean, De Palma, Hastings, Russell, Christie, McDead, Gartshore, Chalmers, Fyall, Anderson

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McGinlay/McGinley, Raphoe, Donegal Research Advice?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 10 08:24 BST (UK) »
IGI (www.familysearch.org) lists Prudence as the daughter of Thomas McGinley and Catherine Spense. She seems to be the only child of their listed there. Have also searched on new LDS Pilot site for other children without result but they are having trouble with the site so would probably be worthy checking it at a later date.

If Prudence's parents were married in 1849 and she was born after civil registration started she is highly unlikely to be their eldest child.

Prudence is not likely to be a Catholic name (children were usually given a saint's name or a version of it) and civil registration of Catholic marriages only started in 1864. If you found a marriage in 1849 in the civil index it was a non-Catholic marriage (Protestant or Registry Office).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 May 10 08:33 BST (UK) »
Have checked the civil index to cross-reference Catherine Spence marriages-
1849 marriage volume 7 page 598
1868 marriage volume 17 page 47 (groom Thomas Leott)

Thomas M'Ginley- one marriage in Co. Donegal found- 1864 Dunfanaghy registration district volume 17 page 65

Therefore, I'f be very surprised if the 1849 marriage belongs to Prudence's mother.

Offline Ronbucks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 May 10 08:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey for the swift reply.

Why do you say that Prudence is unlikely to be the eldest child ? OOPs she is the youngest.

Her parents are indeed Thomas McGinlay/McGinley & Catherine Spence/Spense.

Re- If this is an 1864 marriage it is too late a date ? Where can I view this record ? Thomas M'Ginley- one marriage in Co. Donegal found- 1864 Dunfanaghy registration district volume 17 page 65

Their eldest son John McGinlay B1849 married 1874 in an RC Church in Pollockshaws, Scotland. That's why I am going down the RC faith line. However his daughter Isabella then married 1914 in a Protestant Church

Best Regards

Ron

Brown, Easson, Baird, Wilkie, Winton, Minto, Devine, Hill, Porter, Bruce, Halket, Martin, Watson, Devine, Galloway, Fernie, Abercrombie, Skirving, Hunter, Aitken, McNair, Wishart, Tyrie, Smith, Fairweather, McLean, De Palma, Hastings, Russell, Christie, McDead, Gartshore, Chalmers, Fyall, Anderson

Offline Ronbucks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 May 10 08:59 BST (UK) »
PS.

Re - 1849 marriage Catherine Spence, Donegal. This marriage appears to tie in with the birth of their eldest child John McGinlay. But doesn't give the husband's name :(

Prudence's sisters names are Ann & Catherine (after her mother), they don't sound like saints either ?

Prudence was indeed born after Civil Registration making hers the easiest birth cerificate to find.

Best Regards

Ron

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 May 10 09:09 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, the civil index doesn't cross-reference the bride and groom for a marriage which is why you have to search both separately and then check for matching results (date, registration district, volume and page numbers).

Don't assume the 1849 is the correct Catherine Spense even if the date would fit for birth of first known child.

Offline Ronbucks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 May 10 09:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice regarding searching for Bride & Groom separately.

I am unfamiliar with Irish Records.

However, so far I have only found Prudence's Birth Certificate which exists because it is after civil registration. Will this certificate confirm if this family is RC faith ? How can I view the original ?

Best Regards

Ron

PS No Thomas McGinlay to tie in with Catherine Spence 1849 marriage.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 May 10 09:40 BST (UK) »
Birth certificates do not list a child's religion since it is a civil, not religious, record.
See here for details of Irish records, what information is on certificates, etc.:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,442233.0.html

Offline Ronbucks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 May 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks again aghadowey. :)

Still stuck with dear Prudence's birth cert'  :(. Any further pointers where I can continue my Irish research ?   :-\

NB.
Indeed the birth certificate won't confirm their religion in comparison to a wedding certificate which would normally state the church where a couple were married. I am obviously posting faster than my brains working. ;)

Best Regards

Ron

PS. I am not prepared to pay the £12/6 for a record that won't give me any further information or they aren't a direct ancestor. :-X