Author Topic: Doble  (Read 5048 times)

Offline chandoble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Doble
« on: Saturday 26 March 05 05:51 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking response from people who may have any of the following people in their family tree.  I would also like a hand if possible about the Robert Doble's who are grandfather and great grandfather.

GGrandfather Robert Doble was born in Sheldon Devon in 1858.  I understand that he married in 1880 to Mary Lawrence (b1853).  Would anyone have more details about these people?

Robert Doble was born in Bath 1883.  He married Edith Lillie Knott who I understand died in 1948 but this is not certain as I cannot find who death.  My husband seems to think it was in 1948 but then I received some other advice saying that Robert Doble married Constance Harriet Pinney in 1940.  This is a new name for me.

Robert Doble was a minister with his last place being in Hathern.  He and his last wife (Violet - I don't know her maiden name), died in Hunstanton when they both drowned in the seas whilst trying to save their dog.  The dog came to shore safely.
I have not been able to get hold of a copy of information about their deaths or more information about Violet.

Finally, I have a Charlotte A Doble born 1859 in Luppitt, Devon.  Any information on this lady?

I was under the impression that most of the Doble clan came from around Somerset and surround areas but to date have not me anyone who has a link. 

Cheers

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Doble
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 05 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi chandoble

Welcome to RootsChat!  ;)

Can you expand a bit on the information you are wanting us to help you with.  I'm sure if you do you will soon get a positive response.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BattyB

• RootsChat Member
  • mum and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 March 09 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Have loads of Dobles in my family, most of them originated from Churchstanton Devon baack to 1644. 

My lot settled in Upottery, Devon but not many there now.
Doble.  North. Garrish. Jewell. Gillard.
Vincent.  Spiller. Collings. Board.   
Harris. Manfield. Manning. Salter. Eveleigh.
Strawbridge. Matthews. Sweetland.
Devon. NZ. Australia.

Offline tnorbury

• RootsChat Member
  • A growing family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 November 10 01:56 GMT (UK) »
I have a Mary Doble in my family.

We have found Mary Doble in the 1881 census.

In the 1881 RG11/2386, folio 150, p 14 (Lower Marshwood, Cricket St. Thomas, Somerset) (Loud, dairy) DOBLE, Mary, 19, unmarried, dairy maid, birth place not given.

The marriage certificate showed:

1882 Marriage solemnized at the parish church of Winsham, Somerset, No 235
4 September 1882 between
James Chick, 22, bachelor, labourer, residing Winsham; father = Charles (deceased) labourer
Mary Doubell, 22, Spinster, domestic servant, residing Marshwood in Cricket St. Thomas
Witnesses Henry and Charlotte Chick

The 1891 Census shows Mary Doble being born in Colyton Devon, we believe there is a spelling error somewhere showing Chick as Check.

James CHECK 30 occ Farmers Labourer b Winsham
Mary 28 b Colyton
Harry 6 b Winsham
Polly 4 b Burton Dorset
Flora 8 b Winsham
John 2 b Lyme
Residing at Colway Dairy, Charmouth Street Lyme Axminster Devon
Census Ref RG12/1666/50/16

Do you know if you have a connection to this Doble.

Thank you

Trudy Norbury
CHICK, CHUBB, CLOTHIER, GALE, DOBLE, PIDGEON, GLOYNES

Offline BattyB

• RootsChat Member
  • mum and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 15:46 BST (UK) »
The Doble family is huge as I am sure you have found.  Lots of Marys too but I don't think the Mary you mentioned is part of my line but will take a look.  My tree is getting bigger by the day !
Doble.  North. Garrish. Jewell. Gillard.
Vincent.  Spiller. Collings. Board.   
Harris. Manfield. Manning. Salter. Eveleigh.
Strawbridge. Matthews. Sweetland.
Devon. NZ. Australia.

Offline tnorbury

• RootsChat Member
  • A growing family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 October 17 03:18 BST (UK) »
I did work out who my Mary Doble was with a lot of work to rule out who she was not first. She was the daughter of Henry Doble and Harriett Hooper who was born 17 May 1861 in Combe Raleigh in Devon.

Trudy
CHICK, CHUBB, CLOTHIER, GALE, DOBLE, PIDGEON, GLOYNES