Author Topic: Curry Flavel Stonemasons Belgrave Cemetary  (Read 2220 times)

Offline mcc28x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Curry Flavel Stonemasons Belgrave Cemetary
« on: Monday 03 May 10 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Many of my paternal ancestors were stonemasons most notably Thomas Curry b.1839 (Master Mason) and William Flavell b.1839. I know that from the Leicester Chronicler they constructed the 'Samuel Billington' memorial in Belgrave Cemetary and their business was in Gladstone Street.

Thomas' father Thomas Ralph Curry b.1802 was a stonemason mostly in Lincoln and Sleaford. His elder brothers Robert Curry b.1835 was a stonemason in Lincolnshire and Bishopwearmouth and James Curry b.1830 in Lincoln.

I wondered if anyone had any information on the memorials in Belgrave Cemetary or was aware of any resources in the local record office. Equally if any has any Leicester ancestors who were stonemasons and has any info they can add about the occupation, please get in touch.

regards

Mark
Curry family in Leicester and Durham; Lincoln family in Leeds and Norfolk; Dorgan and Farren in Cork; Marshall family in East Yorkshire; Hughes in Durham; Wilson in Leeds and Church Fenton; Allenby in E/N Yorkshire; Atkins in Leicester; Dack in Norfolk; Webb in N Yorkshire;

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Flavel Stonemasons Belgrave Cemetary
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 19:42 BST (UK) »
hi Mark, this site gives some history of the cemetery and does mention your ancestors as stonemasons of the Billington memorial. there are some nice photos too and mention of a book on the cemetery in the offing (not sure about date). there is an email link to the friends of Belgrave cemetery so well worth contacting them i think:

http://www.leicesterchronicler.com/belgravecemetery.htm

Diddy  ;D
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline mcc28x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Diddy,

Thanks for the link, I'll give that a go.

regards

Mark
Curry family in Leicester and Durham; Lincoln family in Leeds and Norfolk; Dorgan and Farren in Cork; Marshall family in East Yorkshire; Hughes in Durham; Wilson in Leeds and Church Fenton; Allenby in E/N Yorkshire; Atkins in Leicester; Dack in Norfolk; Webb in N Yorkshire;

Offline jvb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 August 10 20:16 BST (UK) »
This isn't directly linked to your question, but as Flavel/Flavell is a fairly rare name I thought this might be of interest:
I have a distant link to the Flavel family of Warwickshire - the earliest name I have so far is a John Flavel who was born in 1831 in Weston-under-Wetherley, Warwicks.
PM me if you need more information.
All counties -Brightley, Brightwell; Cambridgeshire - Peggs; Staffordshire / Derbyshire - Hollis, Myatt, Kidd; Birmingham / West Midlands - Woolley, Harley; Warwickshire - Warren; Oxfordshire - Golby/ Goldby, Ashmore; Herefordshire - Harley