Author Topic: How common was re-registration of a birth?  (Read 678 times)

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
How common was re-registration of a birth?
« on: Saturday 26 March 05 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I've just sent for a birth certificate from 1920 of an illegitimate birth, to receive a certificate from the 1930's when the birth had been reregistered to give fathers name and therefore a change in surname. The parents had subsequently married.  Or at least, the mother had married the man cited as Father on the certificate.

I was under the impression that re-registration was so uncommon as to be non-existent.  Had anybody found the same?  Does anyone know the criteria for reregistrations?

Regards

KA

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How common was re-registration of a birth?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 05 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi KA

It usually happened if the child was born illegitimate but that the natural parents subsequently married - as in your case.

This is the law as it stands today:

If the baby’s parents are not married, and they want the father’s details to be included in the register, both parents should attend the office together to register the birth. If the parents subsequently marry each other then they should re-register their baby. They should complete an application form to make a fresh registration of the birth. There is no time limit on this procedure and there is no fee payable

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 05 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.

KA

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 March 05 00:29 BST (UK) »
HI KA, YOU ARE LUCKY YOURS GOT RE-REGISTERED, I HAVE ONE IN MY FAMILY, HE WAS BORN ILLEGITIMATE 1895/96 IN HULL TO HANNAH WIDDOWSON, SHE MARRIED A WILLIAM LUPTON IN 1900, HE APPEARED AS CHARLES W LUPTON AGE 5YRS ON 1901 CENSUS. HE JOINED THE ARMY AS CHARLES WILLIAM WIDDOWSON & MARRIED IN THE SAME NAME, BUT THERE IS NO RECORDED BIRTH IN EITHER NAME, I THOUGHT HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO PRODUCE HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE FOR THE ARMY. IF ANYONE CAN COME UP WITH ANY IDEAS I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THEM.

MOIRA
mounts/kent
rice/boteler-west ham essex
grigor/sutherland/davidson-scotland
widdowson-derbyshire/yorkshire