Author Topic: Channel Islands Births and Baptisms  (Read 7838 times)

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Channel Islands Births and Baptisms
« on: Tuesday 04 May 10 00:09 BST (UK) »
The LDS has added  Channel Islands  births and baptisms from  1820 through 1907 to it's http://pilot.familysearch.org site.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1584983 

I intend to add direct links to this database  to my guide to  free online birth and baptismal indexes and records,  but  have to decide whether to place the section on the  European or on the British Isles pages. 

I understand the Channel Islands are more linked to the UK than the rest of Europe, but see  they seem to be geographically closer to France, and I have been organizing entries by geography.   Where would  forum members prefer to see the section?

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~thecohens/birthindexes.html

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~thecohens/birthindexes-bri.html

Once I add the section  on the Channel Islands, I will  add other links to free online birth resources for here as  they come to my attention, so please let me know if you know of others that should be included as free resources on the page.

Thanks!

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Channel Islands Births and Baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 12:12 BST (UK) »
The Channel Islands like the Isle of Man are part of the United Kingdom not just linked to it.  Guernsey stamps for example say Guernsey UK.

They are not part of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and so do not elect members of parliament to Westminster.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
The Channel Islands like the Isle of Man are part of the United Kingdom not just linked to it.  Guernsey stamps for example say Guernsey UK.

They are not part of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and so do not elect members of parliament to Westminster.

David

Thanks.  Always having lived in the USA, this does get a bit confusing.  But I will put the section on the British Isles page. 

I have drafted the following,  based on my understanding of  wikipedia information, is it accurate?  My use of the word "linked" in the sentence below is meant as part of giving  readers who have no idea of  the relationship, an   introductory sense of what the connection is. But I do not want to mislead anyone.

" The Channel Islands and Isle of Man  have their own independent  governments and birth registrations  but are also closely linked to the  United Kingdom as Crown   Dependencies."

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 17:16 BST (UK) »
Wikepedia unfortunately wrongly says that the Channel Islands are not part of the UK.  Your final sentence is OK although it would be better worded as "Great Britain" rather than the UK.  My wife's relatives who lived there during WW2 would argue strongly about the commitment of the British Government to their responsibilities to a crown dependency when they were abandoned very rapidly to the Germans.

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
Wikepedia unfortunately wrongly says that the Channel Islands are not part of the UK.  Your final sentence is OK although it would be better worded as "Great Britain" rather than the UK.  My wife's relatives who lived there during WW2 would argue strongly about the commitment of the British Government to their responsibilities to a crown dependency when they were abandoned very rapidly to the Germans.

David

Okay, I will make  that change, that is why I  asked.  I was thinking of sending people to wikipedia for a better understanding, but that is obviously not a good idea.

What do you think about referring them  to any of the following pages I turned up?

http://www.indopedia.org/Crown_dependency.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/country_profiles/7515502.stm

http://gouk.about.com/od/ukoffshoreislandstravel/ss/channelislands.htm   

The about.com page seems a  little more carefully written, and may be the best of them?

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 22:40 BST (UK) »
Wikepedia is a contributary site.  If you think something is wrong all you have to do is register and then go in and change what you don't like.

I don't really think it is worth the effort as the whole site has to be treated with caution.

David

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 23:13 BST (UK) »
Wikepedia is a contributary site.  If you think something is wrong all you have to do is register and then go in and change what you don't like.

I don't really think it is worth the effort as the whole site has to be treated with caution.

David

I understand that, but a lot of people treat it as a primary information source despite it's questionable  accuracy, so it seems to me worth making corrections if a falsehood begs rectifying.

I think I will give people the about.com link as that seems to portray the situation better than the others. Otherwise, they'll use search engines and just read the wiki pages that are the first hits. 

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 10:01 BST (UK) »
The problem is the relationship of the Channel Islands with the UK.  I will restate what I said above as they are not strictly part of the UK.  However when the UK appears at international gatherings it represents the Channel Islands on defence and most foreign matters.

For this reason we usually refer to our government as the government of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the term the UK government was only used in these internatonal situations. 

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 May 10 06:08 BST (UK) »
I think I understand, thanks.