Author Topic: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 19249 times)

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
This also from the same lady:
Son JOSEPH b. 16 Apr 1858, Father John WATER, Shoemaker, age 42,
birthplace London, date of marriage 1853, place Cowra, Previous issue,
Elizabeth 4, Mother Maiden name: Catherine formerly SHEAN, age 42,
mother's birthplace, NSW, Informant John WALTER, Farmer, Currawang,
signed with his X. Nurse or witness Mrs. Mayo, registered 20 May 1858,
Binalong. Comments X mark.

Son JOSEPH Death Transcription entry: Place of death Moppity Station
near Binalong, occupation -, sex male, age 16 mths, cause of death
convulsions, duration 2 days, medical attendant none, father John
WALTERS, father's occupation settler, Mother maiden name Catherine
formerly KENEHAN late MURPHY, informant Susan McDONNELL, sister,
Burrowa, signed with X, when buried 16 Jul 1859, where Currowang near
Binalong, Undertaker John Martin, Minister none, Witnesses William
Stephens, John Average (probably HARBRIDGE, son in law of JOHN
WATER/WALTERS), where born Moppity Station near Binalong NSW.

Remember Mary (the mother of Catherine) married a Sheehan and Catherine used many names.

Also the first marriage of Catherine's produced Susan, who married a McDonnell. (informant)

Also, Catherine (daughter of James & Catherine) married John Harbridge.

It seems the researcher above was quoting actual documents so i would think she is on the right track.

Mosher

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 14:06 BST (UK) »
Also, I have tried to contact this researcher but she lives in US and her email address bounced.  She was working in conjunction with the one who got all cagey with "her info".  The posts I had seen from the above lady were all at least 10 years old.  The second researcher (cagey one) got in touch with first one after seeing posts on the net some time back.  Together they erected a plaque for Catherine's grave (with another person also).

This family have so many children (John who I descend thru had 14!) that there are many of us Murphy brats running around.

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 14:15 BST (UK) »
I wish your original assumption of only two "James Murphy" was correct...

Have you checked through the Colonial Secretary's Papers -there's dozens of James Murphys  ::)
http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/m/F40c_mu-my-05.htm#P2309_71046

(hope that link works!)

Most of them are convicts - which at least gives a starting point

The records for the Walter children certainly appear to confirm that Catherine has now joined forces with Walter/s. The "Late Murphy" doesn't necessarily mean that James is deceased but it certainly looks like Catherine believed that he had died.

I had almost exactly the same situation, in the same area, at the same time, also with a lady called Catherine. My Catherine "married" at least 4 times!! (but never to a Murphy  8) )

I'll try again tomorrow

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 14:59 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, I know there are many!  I narrowed it down to the ones on the Lonach as they were stationed at Windsor. ( see the original post)

There are many non-convicts of the same name also.  There is nothing to say "our" James was a convict, just a guess due to the time and his name being Irish (many Irish convicts around then).

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 May 10 00:07 BST (UK) »
Lady Di, I think I may have spoken to you on the phone.  Do you have a website for a "heritage" area, and an uncle?

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 06 May 10 11:54 BST (UK) »
Lady Di, I think I may have spoken to you on the phone.  Do you have a website for a "heritage" area, and an uncle?

Sorry Moshe, I think you have the wrong person

Now - back to business...
I've been trying to find something about the two James Murphys from the Lonach. My first thought was that if either of these were your James then they should have only had a sentence of 7 years, certainly no longer. Otherwise they would not have been allowed to "marry" without permission prior to the end of their sentence (or that's the theory anyway!!) I don't have full access to all the convict records, but would suggest that you check the sentences for these and other James Murphy to see if they could have completed their sentence prior to 1834. That should at least rule out some of the extra James Murphy convicts - assuming of course that your James was a convict.  :-\

I'd also suggest that you place a note on the Australian board on RootsChat here -
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,165.0.html
with a link to this thread. The people on the Australian board have greater access to more resources than I have and are more likely to be of assistance

I'm sure by now that you've found where Forbes is in NSW and have found the FHS web site - and hopefully made contact with them. If not, here's the link:
http://home.westserv.net.au/~ffhg/

Have you checked the 1825 Muster? I'd like to think that there is a mention of you guy out west in the Bathurst area. I'm sure the majority of the convicts were kept in and around Sydney Town so one out west should be a bit easier to find.

Sorry I cant be more help but hopefully one of the above suggestions will help in your quest.

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 May 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Di,

Sorry about that - there was someone whose nick was Lady Di on another site.   :)

Now, James... both on the Lonach were 7 years.

One was from Tipperary, tried in Clonmill for Highway robbery, sentence 7 years. yob 1797, occupation ploughman.

The other also from Tipperary, tried in Waterford for pig stealing (!), sentence 7 years. yob 1794, occupation soldier 31 reg.

I have emailed the Forbes centre but they only check once a week.  I shall wait.  :)

They were transported in 1825 but on the 1828 census, both of them are with William Cox in Windsor.  The soldier one did apply to marry in 1834 and was granted permission (to marry someone else) so I guess he did and that would count him out.

Windsor doesn't seem to be anywhere near Bathurst tho.  They seemed to move to Cowra some time later. 

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 07 May 10 05:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Mosher,

Where did Phillip SMITH'S two marriages take place? There was a Phillip SMITH, life, transported on the Hebe who applied twice to be married in NSW. Firstly in 1832 to Catherine HIGGINS, and secondly in 1834 to Ann RUSSELL.  Neither of these marriages appear to have taken place.  I can't see any children either.

Debra

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 07 May 10 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra,

I am at work (oops don't tell!) so don't have my records here.  i will reply again when I get home.  The first marriage you have is to "my" Catherine.  Higgins was one of her mother's marriages and a name she sometimes used.  She used many!  and many spellings too.

From memory the second is the one I also found, not sure if I checked to see if it actually went through. 

I would really love to find which James is "mine".  I think then i could draw a line under that branch of the family.  Trying to track in Ireland in that era is nearly impossible, so I think I would be happy to just know who he was when he was in Australia.

Mosher (Aly)