Author Topic: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 19327 times)

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 08 May 10 02:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Judith.  I dont know what to make of the Joseph/Susannah scenario.  I would doubt there would be another John & Catherine Walter(s) in Binalong in 1858.  It would have been a small community, but I have been wrong before!   ;)

Would these have been baptism dates?  Maybe if they are twins, Susannah may have been ill on the date that Joseph was baptised so done at a later date?

If they are birth entries, then I guess we don't know.  (?)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 08 May 10 03:20 BST (UK) »
Death of Joseph 15 July 1859, Moppity Station near Binalong, age 16
months. Father John WALTERS, mother Catherine, formerly KENEHAN late
MURPHY.

The "late" Murphy would confirm they think James is dead.

The "late" doesn't refer to the previous husband, it is just the terminolgy used to order a woman's marriages.  "Formerly" is their maiden name, and "late" is the marriage before the current one.  If a woman married three times, it usually says "formerly Smith, next Jones, late Brown".  Of course they didn't always bother going to this trouble which can make it difficult to back track on someone who was a serial wife.

If John and Catherine did not marry, I would be more inclined to think that James was still alive (even though it doesn't look like she married him either!)

Do you have Catherine's death certificate? If not, it should help to sort the children out.

Debra

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 08 May 10 03:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Mosher

The quotes I have are from the NSW BMDs and are birth registrations.  However they are not always exactly right depending on when the registratin was made for example I have a reg date for a baby for the year after the mother died - I think the death got registered straight away but the birth wasn't registered till a few months later.

I think Dundee is right - perhaps the only course is to order the death certificate.

You pay less and get it quicker if you use a transcription agent.  there are three official ones listed on the NSW BMD site and all of them seem to be very good.  I think it's aobut $17 for a transcript. 

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToSearch.htm (scroll down the page)

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 08 May 10 03:52 BST (UK) »
I have ordered some of her children's birth certs and they were just baptism records.  They are listed on the BDMs tho. 

And just to make matters worse, Catherine died in Vic but her death is not registered...  She is buried in Omeo.

I have a death memorial type card for her that is from a descendant who has the original.  This is what it says:

In memoriam of
Catharine Walter
an old and esteemed resident of this district
who departed this life at Omeo
in the 63rd year of her age
on Sunday July 29th AD 1877
Requiescat in pace

Her children had moved to Omeo in the 50's and 60's so I guess she followed.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Sorry to be late arriving at this scavenger hunt,  I've been a tad busy with family !

Michael – 23 Jan 1852 Lachlan District, NSW (from the initial post)

Not sure if the following info will help, but ...
Remembering
a) Not compulsory to enrol;  b) Property Qualifications required to enrol; c) Only Males eligible to enrol; d) Electoral Roll information collected by Police; e) Forbes District covered a large geographical area, not just the township that was first settled in 1820's;  f) Forbes became a gold rush township in the 1860's; g) The FORBES COURT HOUSE which still exists today was where BDM etc were registered for the larger area, the same register was still being used in the 1950's and 1960's to record bdm as back in 1860's.  That register was accessible in the 1970's, when I obtained an "extract" certificate, but I don't know if it is still accessible today.  My birth and those of my siblings are recorded in that register.  I have not lived in that district for decades, but I may be back visiting the district in October this year. 

NSW Electoral Roll for 1870  for THE BOGAN, and its smaller sub-district known as FORBES Police District.  Other Police districts in THE BOGAN included : Molong, Walgett, Coonamble; Canonbar; Dubbo, Coonabaraban, Bourke, etc and that 1878/9 roll has ONLY 3082 MALES listed.  The electoral roll's geographical area is huge, hundreds and hundreds of square miles of rural NSW. 

MURPHY, Michael, of Forbes, Qualification to enrol : residence: Forbes.

I will try to find time later this evening to look for through that roll, my records are NOT keyword searchable, sorry, but if you could give me a list of surnames, I would appreciate that help !

I have Electoral Rolls for several years upto and including 1903 NSW Roll (the first year that females were included)

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 02:02 BST (UK) »
I have ordered some of her children's birth certs and they were just baptism records.  They are listed on the BDMs tho. 

NSW BDM records for the era before civil registration (ie before 1856) are NOT birth or death records.  They are incomplete, and are based on ECR records E = Early, C = Church and R = Records.  They are  Baptismal and Burial records.  http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/historyofRegistrysRec.htm#EarlyChurchRecords

NSW BDM records from 1856 are NOT complete either, but are more reliable than ECR's.   The following is from online summary, and I note that MANY quarterly returns in the period 1856 - 1914 do not appear on the NSW online index, as they were not necessarily received or actioned by the Registrar General's staff in Sydney promptly (sometimes not received, sometimes received but not legible).   A better source for ECR's would be the NSW State Library, where there are filmed records, often based on the original parish record rather than the quarterly returns.  The parish record often shows more detail for the family (including address, occupation, sponsors etc) than the printed baptismal record issued by NSW BDM. 

Also, if there was an inquest for a death, then often NO death certificate is found, as it was NOT registered .... the minister had the magistrate's inquest findings, so did not need a death certificate to obtain permission to bury.  This practice occurred even in the 1920's ! So don't rely solely on NSW BDM to find death registrations!

Marriages:  Sometimes these records were not forwarded either...  Sorry for long post, but simply I am trying to say there's many BDM events that were recorded, but records don't exist at NSW BDM.  Newspapers, local parish records, cemetery headstones are often the better options.

Civil Registrations
On 1st March 1856 "An Act for Registering Birth, Deaths and Marriages" came into effect. The Act established a number of District Registrars responsible for the compulsory registration of all births, deaths and marriages occurring in NSW. It was now the responsibility of a parent, in the case of a birth, a Minister, in the case of a marriage, or the owner of a house in which a death occurred to notify the District Registrar of the details so that the event could be registered.

In the early years of civil registration most events were registered following verbal advice from the informant. The widespread use of notification forms did not begin until after World War 1 (1918). District Registrars would then enter the details into bound registers and allocate the registration a unique number. In some Registration Districts these numbers would run sequentially for the whole years, while in other districts a new number series was begun each quarter.

A copy of the registration was made on a loose registration sheet and forwarded to the Sydney Registry at the end of March, June, September and December each year. The Sydney Registry consolidated these returns. They were bound with Sydney registrations first, followed by metropolitan districts and then the country districts in alphabetical order. The consolidated registers were then renumbered starting at 1 and running through the whole year.

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 02:24 BST (UK) »
Some more
1878 Roll THE BOGAN, sub-district Forbes (Police) district

MURPHY as the surname
William, residing at Forbes
James, residing at Parkes
Michael, residing at Forbes
Timothy, residing at Burrawang
William John, residing at London Lead ("Lead" being a clue indicating a mining lead)
Patrick, residing at Parkes

The newspaper around Forbes in the 1870's was FORBES TIMES.  The Electorate was also known as "The Western Goldfields" in that era.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 02:41 BST (UK) »
James Murphy

NSW 1887 Inquests  TWO chaps by that name found at page 7565 of NSW Gov Gazette of 1888 Vol 4.

"A" James Murphy, aged 75, born Ireland, died near Bowning, from effects of injuries accidentially received, leaving currency to value of 30 pounds and a small farm.

"B" James Murphy, aged 46, born Ireland, died near Maitland, accidentially drowned, leaving 50 pounds.

A - most likely this would be NSW BDM reference 13332/1887
B - most likely this would be NSW BDM reference 10150/1887

I will modify this post shortly with any online newspaper references to either A or B  ;)

Edit 1

B http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18952212  Sad, but no mention of names of his parents

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 03:06 BST (UK) »
James MURPHY at FORBES ;) its an Auriferous Lease

NSW State Records Office, The shrunk url link http://www.rootschat.com/links/08nr/

Fingers crossed that the index helps, as there's a mention of a George Walter Parish associated with that lease.

Cheers,  JM