Author Topic: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 19326 times)

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 03:12 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks JM!  I am at work, but will go through all this tonight and see what I can match up!

We need a dancing smiley!  ;D

Mosher

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 03:13 BST (UK) »
Some more
1878 Roll THE BOGAN
[

Oh dear... the people at work think this is very funny!!   ;D

Maybe only Aussies will get the joke.  ;)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 03:36 BST (UK) »
I know  ;D,  I have good chuckles whenever I type it up  ;D

On a slightly different tack  ;)

NSW State Records Office  back in 1830's
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?Table=Index+to+Orphan+Schools&Surname=murphy&First=james%25&Page=

Admission to Orphan School
Index to Orphan Schools show admission  on 30 April 1833 a FOUR year old lad named James MURPHY, with mother's name of Catherine Murphy ...   

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 03:45 BST (UK) »
Me again,

When we figure out which James Murphy is yours, perhaps there's a photo !  Umm, but it may be a Gaol photo ... check out the many index references at the NSW State Records office online using keyword search "James Murphy"
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/keyname_search.asp

Also, may I suggest a keyword search for "Catherine Murphy", could be worthwhile, if only to eliminate the July 1832 index for her quarter sessions appearance.  I'll have a quick look at the online newspapers for that appearance and update shortly.
EDIT TO ADD most likely this article would be for Catherine's court appearance!  ;)
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12844919?searchTerm=%22catherine+murphy%22
The Sydney Herald Monday 23 July 1832 ...   Jury could not agree, so Catherine was discharged  ::) but tis an interesting read  ;)  (Among other things, Catherine Murphy was dressed in black ... my thoughts - a widow by July 1832, thus re-marriage possible !)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 03:57 BST (UK) »
You have got me thinking - maybe James didn't die around 1853, maybe he was in prison!

There is a death in Yass Goal for a James Murphy, died of disease of the heart, inquest held, Yass Courier 7.2.1879.

Any ideas of where I can find out more of this James?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 04:03 BST (UK) »
I'll think about that 1879 Yass find, I don't know if I have Gazette info for that year, but it's only as far away as a box under my desk here  ;D  8)

But in mean time, I've spotted a JOHN MURPHY in 1870 on the CARCOAR Electoral Roll, that's slightly South east of Forbes, and Carcoar Roll covered Cowra etc:

John MURPHY, residing at Balubula, which was covered by the police district of Cowra...

Cheers,  JM 

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 04:04 BST (UK) »
I don't know that either of the above 2 references to Catherine Murphy would be "my" Catherine.  She was married to Philip Smith in 1832, so wouldn't have been Catherine Murphy until after getting toegtehr with old Jamesy around 1833/4.  Prior to marrying Smith, her surnames would have been either Callaghan/er, Kelliher/Kelleher/Killeher/Killiher, Higgins or Sheehan.

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 04:07 BST (UK) »
Wow, a mug shot!  LOL!  Oh well, depending on what he had done, maybe I will claim him.   ;D

The son John was in Victorian highlands from 1850's so unless that John is a different relation, then maybe a different family.  There were so many Murphys it's not funny!  Altho one son was born in Carcoar.  I have wondered if James had family here.  maybe so???

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Can't help with the 1879 Yass inquest, sorry...

But ... back to Forbes, and a James Murphy...  There's one who was the Publican for the Criterion Hotel in Lachlan Street, but that's the Gazette of 1880, Pt.3  page 4835 ... so I'm still not sure if I'm helping or diverting your hunt  ;)  (Forbes had around 28 pubs in the 1870's ... as per my recollection of social studies, primary school lessons) ...

I'm not finding any WALTERS around in that neck of the woods (along the Lachlan rather than the Bogan  :P ) in the 1870's or later... so they may have gone to Vic in the 1860's ... Gold Fever was a great motivator  ;D

Cheers,  JM.