Author Topic: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 19362 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 12:29 BST (UK) »
So does that mean the marriage did take place? or should I contact the C of E church at Windsor for records?

This is the minister listed for Philip's second request. There are 2 listings for it, both say granted and are 1 week apart. (??)

I'm not sure ... I think it means that Philip was given permission to marry, but I don't know that the marriage actually took place.   Back in a tick and will modify with more, have to check a reference book to see if there's a detailed explanation.

EDIT Rev Henry Tarleton STYLES C of E .   Also several C of E churches in the Windsor District (second settled district in NSW, district covered large area in 1830's)

Reference book just notes that "About two thirds of the convicts who were granted permission to marry, actually married their nominated partner"

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM!

I will wait to hear more.   :D

Mosher

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 12:43 BST (UK) »
http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/

There's indexes to various records, perhaps you may find clues this evening, my friend is a member of the Hawkesbury Family History Group.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 12:56 BST (UK) »
At that link
http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/lists/1846HBSDonations.html

Hawkesbury Benevolent Society List of Donations 1846 among the donors there's a Philip SMITH, but none surnamed Murphy. 

Catch up tomorrow.  I'm in NSW, where are you?

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 13:10 BST (UK) »
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/7136735?searchTerm=%22james+murphy%22

Funeral for the James Murphy, of Keilor Plains, mentions City Arms, and moved from there to "New Cemetery, Melbourne"  I'm not familar with Victoria's records, but google shows Keilor Plains is part of St Albans.   I could not find an In Memoriam for him in Aug 1858.
8 August 1857 The Argus

Cheers,  JM

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 13:15 BST (UK) »
I am in Perth so have a few more hours yet.  But please feel free to go to bed at some stage. ;D

Checked St Matthews at Windsor but no go.  You know, I am sure they thought ahead and were screwing with our heads when they decided to have an RC St Matthews and a CofE St Matthews in the same area...

I will see what I can find for Vic cemeteries.  Thanks JM!

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 13:37 BST (UK) »
Looks like another dead end.  Keilor Plains is nowhere near where his family were, so I would doubt that one was him.   :(  (we also need a foot stomping smiley)

I did try to search the New Melbourne Cemetery but it appears you can't.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Re Rev Joseph Docker

http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A010297b.htm

He was the Rector at St Mathews C of E Windsor from June 1829 to March 1833.  This would support the notion that Philip Smith's permission to marry Cathe Higgins (granted Nov 1832)  should have been celebrated at St Mathews, and thus should be recorded in the registry held there.    As an aside, according to that biographical link, he and his family moved from the Hawkesbury District to Bontharambo which I think would be near Wangaratta in Victoria  ;D in the late 1830's. 

I have phoned my friend and left a message on her machine.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 02:14 BST (UK) »
Also,

Have you considered posting a specific request on the Aus Board, looking for information about the New Cemetery, Melbourne and the August 1857 death of James Murphy.  Perhaps there's a headstone transcription for him, or at least a clue as to his wife and seven children  ;) It would at least confirm or eliminate one possible sighting  ::) .

Cheers,  JM