Author Topic: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 19303 times)

Offline attunga11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 08 October 20 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I have been going through my paperwork and found the certificate of freedom for James Murphy I got from the NSW state archives. It is for the the James born 1816, it states he was born in Bardon (I think this should read Bandon) County Cork. You might already have this too, not sure if this will assist you with tracing his parents, maybe there are church records for that parish, Irish records are not easy to locate

Offline RyanMurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 08 October 20 06:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I have been going through my paperwork and found the certificate of freedom for James Murphy I got from the NSW state archives. It is for the the James born 1816, it states he was born in Bardon (I think this should read Bandon) County Cork. You might already have this too, not sure if this will assist you with tracing his parents, maybe there are church records for that parish, Irish records are not easy to locate

Hi Attunga, that’s very interesting, I haven’t seen this certificate of freedom. If I PM’ed you my email address would you be kind enough to flick me a copy of this?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Thursday 08 October 20 07:12 BST (UK) »
Deleted.  Wrong detail.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Thursday 08 October 20 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all and thanks for resurrecting the thread!  I haven't looked for old James for a while but am wondering what makes you think he is the young fellow from the Andromeda?

Offline attunga11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 08 October 20 07:51 BST (UK) »
I need my daughter to help me do this,  she will be home in a couple of hours and I will send it to you

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Thursday 08 October 20 08:13 BST (UK) »
Ok I've just had a look on Ancestry and it seems every tree has his birth year of 1816. I'd recommend you don't trust any trees that don't have sources that are accurate! I took my tree private many years ago as when I started I used to believe other trees and use that info and it was alllll wrong. To stop people copying mine, I made it private. I don't update that tree any more for other reasons.

But unless there is a good reason to think it was the boy from the Andromeda, I'd think it's probably not. If he arrived in 1831, I don't think he'd be in a position to be procreating with a free settler in 1833 (John born July 1834).

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Thursday 08 October 20 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a copy of the original transcript of that James Murphy’s baptism, dated 14th October, 1816. It says the parents are Tim Murphy and Ellen Sullivan, and the sponsors are Denis Murphy and Mary Cotter.  Because of the date 1816 I thought this might be the James Murphy who arrived age 14 on the Andromeda in 1830, not one of the two who arrived on the Lonarch. 
Ellen Murphy the sponsor for their son John could be a relative, there are a few Ellen Murphy’s on the convict lists, maybe she followed in her brothers footsteps
Which church was the baptism at?
Cowban