Author Topic: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 19332 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #27 on: Friday 07 May 10 07:39 BST (UK) »
I was just thinking that if she didn't marry Phillip, then perhaps it was James who had already married in NSW.  Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but do you have an approximate year of birth for James?

Debra

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 07 May 10 11:57 BST (UK) »
No I have nothing for James, other than his name.   ???

I don't have the actual marriage for Philip & Catherine, only the permission to marry.  I have had a look for other marriages for James Murphys and found one in 1829, but when I checked the convict records they show the application & permission was in 1839.  Do the BDMs often get mistranscribed?

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 07 May 10 12:56 BST (UK) »

Not sure if you have looked,   but there are a few reports on a James Murphy ( seemed to be in trouble a bit)  btw 1810 -1840 in Sydney newspapers 

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 07 May 10 13:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have gone through the papers, but it is knowing which one it is. There was even a bushranger called James Murphy who was killed in 1863 by the person he was going to rob.

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 07 May 10 14:07 BST (UK) »
I found this entry in Sept 1851:
DISEASED MEAT.-It is melancholy to contemplate the many fatal results that have arisen from skinning the carcases of diseased animals. No later than Sunday last the remains of an unfortunate individual, who lived in May's Lane, were conveyed to the burial ground, whose death was occasioned by the poisonous effects of handling diseased meat, as we stated in a former number. We have also to deplore the fate of another man, named Murphy, from a similar cause. He was taken ill a few days since, while proceeding up the country, and died at Penrith, leaving a widow and several children to bemoan his untimely end. We understand that a subscription is being made in behalf of the destitute family.-Empire, Aug. 30.

There was a child born Jan 1852 (Lachlan district or Carcoar) & one in Jan 1853 (Cowra).  The child before 1851 was in 1847 in Petersham. 

Would Penrith be on the way from Petersham to Carcoar?  Maybe the last baby is not really James?

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 07 May 10 14:13 BST (UK) »
Alas, there are no deaths recorded for a James in 1851.  The only male in 1851 that would be old enough to have several children is a John Murphy.

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 07 May 10 14:15 BST (UK) »
Xin, where are you?  I am talking to myself again!  (oh shut up!  No YOU shut up!)
 :P ;D ::)

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 07 May 10 14:30 BST (UK) »
Another puzzling news article from 1857 (states to be from the Goulburn papers):

TOUCHING INCIDENT.-A poor woman named Ralston, was committed to gaol a short time ago, as being of unsound mind. She was suckling an infant, and it was deemed imprudent that Bhe should take her baby with her into prison. The child passed into the care of a person known as the Gipsy Queen. There is now temporarily residing, at a cottage on the new line, a person named Murphy, whose wife has also an infant at the breast. 
Mrs. Murphy was sitting on the door step, on Monday evening, when the Gipsy Queen carne up with Mrs Ralston's baby. The Gipsy stated the melancholy history of the unfortunate baby she was nurturing, and asked Mrs. M. to give the " poor little thing a wee drop from the breast." No'sooner had kind hearted Mrs. Murphy taken the infant in her arms than the Gipsy vanished. Murphy, on his return home, was highly indignant at this "little addition to his family" being forced upon him, and yesterday applied to the Bench of Magistrates for redress of this " crying" grievance. His demeanour was so excited that he was ordered into custody, but he was released on the rising of the Court.

Of course Catherine was with John Walter by 1857, but Joseph Walters was born 1858 in Binalong,  a bit further along the road from Goulburn.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 07 May 10 15:12 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you have this birth which looks as though it should be yours (from NSW BMDs) although Joseph is also listed as born 1858  ??? I could not see a record of the birth of Elizabeth on the BMDs.

1858  Susannah WALTERS, parents John Catherine,   BINALONG   5159

Edit to add - yes, I re-read and see you already have it.  However the reg no for Joseph is 5150  which is not adjacent to Susannah's which would be likely if they were twins.   

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk