Author Topic: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 19329 times)

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 06:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help JM!

Most, if not all, of this family were in Victoria (Omeo area) by the 1870's starting with John in the 1850's.  I presume he followed his half uncles as the Sheehans and Higgins were already there. 

I am assuming James was born either late 1700's or up to 1810, so i don't think he would doing much (if he is still alive) in the 1870's and 1880's.

I just keep thinking, if Catherine stuck with him for nearly 20 years, he must have been a reasonable provider.  Of course he may have been a wife beater, who knows?  But my first thought it, is she "married" John Walters in 1853, then James must have been gone for some reason.  Dead?  locked up?  missing?  There must be some clue around 1853 why she skipped from James' bed to John's!

He is the thorn in my side I just can't let go! ???

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 06:37 BST (UK) »
Back to 1830's and Catherine's marriage to Philip Smith

Where do you find that marriage info? I'm interested as I have a particular marriage mentioned in two court cases as occuring in Sydney in 1832, by RC rites, but its not found on the NSW BDM online index.

I'm also thinking about the orphanage admission for the four year old where the mother's name was cited as Catherine Murphy, and I have not found his baptism online either.  As the child was admitted under the surname MURPHY then it is likely that the recording clerk would have asked for the name of his mother, and after being informed it was Catherine, he would presume her surname was Murphy.  If she was not literate, she would not know what had been recorded  :-X

Admission to Orphan School
Index to Orphan Schools show admission on 30 April 1833 a FOUR year old lad named James MURPHY, with mother's name of Catherine Murphy ...

I am aware of many/most RC baptisms for St Marys (Cathedral) for that period are not found at NSW BDM  ;) as the Rev was in dispute with government administrators re the payment of fees DUE TO HIM for forwarding the info to them. Government Orders dating from 1810 required all clergy to forward quarterly returns to St Philips C of E, but many did not as they were not paid to "transmit" their records but were expected to bare the costs of preparing and forwarding the returns.  No RC marriages at St Marys Cathedral for 1832 found online, but I found some at State Library back in the 1980's, so I presume they still hold those records. 

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 10:50 BST (UK) »

It's time for this weeks Scavenger Hunt and here it is.   Have fun.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,455602.0.html

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

As usual, this Hunt will remain open for any further information which may come in.
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
This looks interesting - wrong year but the wife and children fit:

An inquest was held in Melbourne, on the 8th inst., also before Dr Youl, on the body of a man named James Murphy, who was accidentally struck by a cart in Elizabeth-Street, on the previous day, and died from the injuries thereby received. Deceased was in a state of drunkenness and was running along Elizabeth street, near the Cattle-yards, at about seven o'clock in tho evening, when he came against the cart and was knocked down, the cart leaving him where he was. He described the occurrence as owing entirely to himself after he had been found by a policeman, and removed to the City Arms Hotel. Deceased has left a wife and seven children. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the evidence.

The Argus, Wednesday 12 August 1857

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 11:39 BST (UK) »
Back to 1830's and Catherine's marriage to Philip Smith

Where do you find that marriage info? I'm interested as I have a particular marriage mentioned in two court cases as occuring in Sydney in 1832, by RC rites, but its not found on the NSW BDM online index.

All I have for this is the request to marry for Philip Smith.  Permission granted on 29 Nov 1832 to marry Cathe Higgins.  Catherine is listed as came free and age 17, Philip, age 31, came on the Hebe for life but with ToL.  Rev Joseph Booker (?) at Windsor.

I can't find the actual BDM but the info suggests it was actually legalised.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

OK, so Philip Smith was ex HEBE, and thus needed to obtain permission to marry. That's him in 1828 at Windsor, in the No. 24 Town Gang.

I have a list of clergy for around that era, so I'll try to figure out the Rev's name and the place, to hopefully figure out which denomination, and from there the exact church.  Reason : to establish that the marriage ceremony was conducted.  That should then help confirm a reason for no record of a marriage for James Murphy to Catherine, remembering that divorce was extremely unlikely and that you also have Philip marrying someone else in 1834. 

I also know that just because permission was granted, that marriage did not automatically follow.

I hope I'm not sidetracking you, but I'm trying to find a backdoor way to James Murphy !  ;)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
 ;D
Rev Joseph DOCKER, C of E  ;) at Windsor  ;D in the 1830's  ;D

JM

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 12:16 BST (UK) »
So does that mean the marriage did take place?  or should I contact the C of E church at Windsor for records?

This is the minister listed for Philip's second request. There are 2 listings for it, both say granted and are 1 week apart.  (??)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

On the same set of records for Philip Smith's permission to marry, but a couple of images earlier, there's a William Davies permission to marry a Mary Lyhane at Windsor, permission granted 26th Oct 1832, clergyman Rev C V Dowling.  When you look at NSW BDM that has not been indexed. Perhaps it was because Rev Dowling was RC.  (I'm actually trying to find Rev Docker being mentioned for any other convict marriage apart from Philip Smith  ::) and not succeeding, was hoping to find Rev Docker marrying another couple so I could then find the ECR online and match up the church, but I will guess "St Mathews, Windsor, C of E" (ECR code of CC) and will phone a friend who may have index for marriages there.  (Yes of course, I will ask if James Murphy listed  ;D, fingers crossed - but I've looked at the clock, so I will phone tomorrow to ask as its nearly 9:30 pm)

JM