Author Topic: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 19251 times)

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,
Just posted on the Aus board as you suggested.  It is worth investiagting!  If all esle fails, i am hoping to get to Vic at some stage in the next few months, so may have to make a trip there.

Mosher

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 06:45 BST (UK) »
fingers crossed that some of the Rchatters with experience for Vic records can help re James Murphy.

Re Catherine and her origins, (I'm not finding anything on James, and not heard back from my friend re St Mathews records).

There were 11 children accompanying the 89 women on that voyage of the Canada, and I haven't found any of their names, but it must have been a troubled voyage as their rations were subject to an enquiry that is listed on the Col Sec's Index.  They ceased receiving beef rations 6 April and had left Ireland only days earlier  BUT the Captain had UN-USED beef rations as at 11 August and sort to dispose of these as at 25 Sept 1817. 

I'm Still looking for James  ;)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 11:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, JM, that's right.  In fact Catherine's mother is listed on colsec (under the name Callagher):

CALLAGHER, Mary. Per "Canada", 1817

1818 Feb 10

Received payment in lieu of beef due on voyage per "Canada"; arrived with one child (Reel 6047; 4/1741 pp.234-6)

I think this is the first mention of her child.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm still looking  ;)

On a submitted tree on Ancestry the submitter has indicated that in 1841 James and Catherine Murphy (nee Callaghan) and family were found on the census in the Petersham district of NSW (Blackwattle Swamp).  I'm actually not sure that this would be your James and Catherine as that 1841 census document shows all 6 members of the household arrived free, with none born in the colony.  ::)

Also I think in 1841 there would have been 5 rather than 6 in the Murphy household. The submitter lists the children (seems to be similar to your list) :
John 1834-1892; Catherine 1835-1836; Catherine 1837 - ? ; Bridget 1841-1920; Margaret 1843 - ? ; Anastastia 1847 - ? ; Michael 1852 - ? ; James 1853 - ?

Perhaps I'm miss reading the image  ;) but have you contacted the submitter, perhaps there's a new contact  ;D 

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

That might be mine!  ;D  I was using Ancestry for my tree as well as for research but someone warned me off them as anything you put up there becomes their property.   I wasn't happy with that so stopped adding to it.  I haven't updated it for ages so it will be from when i first started and likely full of errors.  I keep it as sometimes it is easier to have a spot to start searching from. 

I don't think that census is them.  I think I thought it may be as one child was born in Petersham.  But as I said it was a long time back in my searching.

I probably should take it down to stop anyone fouling their tree, but really if gthey are silly enough to copy it without checking, then more fool them.  :P

Mosher

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 13:50 BST (UK) »
Agh, tis fine, leave it there, you never know, someone may pop along one day and have the answers about James  ;D and get in contact with you.  I agree, if they are silly enough to copy without making contact then more fool them  ;)

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 15 May 10 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

As you noted you can't research the MElboure cemetery but  your local Family history Association may have a cd/book of the index to headstones.

I had a n ancestor interred there but with no headstone. I contactede them with then date and details from the death certificate and now know where she is buried in her unmarked grave.

http://necropolis.net.au/melbournegeneral/necropolis-websites.html

The new Melbourne Cemetery is incorporated in the Melbourne General cemetery in teh above link

It might be worth giving it ago.

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 15 May 10 03:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Robyn!  You know it never fails to astound me how generous some people are with information on genealogy, and then others (admittedly the minority) I have come across treat it like their own personal info, available to no-one else... Sigh.

Anyway, I digress!  Thank you for the update on info for New Melb Cemetery.   :)  We have discounted that James with info supplied on his death (I had another thread on this specifically on the Aussie board).

So whilst I haven't found "my" James yet, it has been fun to delve in anyway.

Thanks to all contributors in this hunt!

The very grateful Mosher.

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Sunday 16 May 10 04:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Just Moi,

I wonder if you could have a look for me at your list of clergy.  I have been looking at others in my "tree" and there are at least 2 that I have a burial record for but there is no record on NSW BDM.

James' last child (also James) was born 1853 and his baptism says it was in Parish of Carcoar, in the county of Erroll, NSW.  The ceremony was performed by Rev B Murphy, Roman Catholic.

I have searched for both the church in Carcoar (there seems to be many different sections to Carcoar unless I am reading it wrong) and Rev B Murphy, for him I only have found he was in Carcoar for 10 years from 1853.

I am wondering if James Snr may be buried at the same place.  Young James was born Jan 1853,  and Catharine married John Walter in Oct 1853 in Cowra.  I did find the certificate for Cath & John so they def did marry in RC church by Henry Gregory Gregory (??) Vicar General of NSW.

Now I am thinking (bear with me!) that if I can find the cemeteries used in the 1850's for that area, I may be able to check if he was buried anywhere there.

Can you please check what church Rev B Murphy was in the priest for?  It will help if I have a name, as I am a but uncertain after searching the area.

I think I am rambling a bit, sorry.   ??? ;D

TIA
Mosher