Author Topic: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 19316 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Moshers Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 22 May 10 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Mosher,

OH and I have been away, and I've been without access to my PC, so I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier.  Re Rev B Murphy ...  I cannot find him, but I can find a Rev Francis MURPHY, and he was RC, so perhaps that "B" was "F".   I'll try to locate a parish for Francis  ;D

Could be the following are relevant, but you will need to check the dates as this chap was in Sth Australia by the mid 1840's :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Murphy_(Australian_cleric)
http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A020236b.htm (includes mention of Gregory  ;) )

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 22 May 10 04:25 BST (UK) »
Hi JM!

No he is def B Murphy - in fact it is Bernard.  I found this info:
Father Bernard Murphy was based in Carcoar  for ten years from 1853 and became widely  known as “the Parish Priest of the Lachlan” as a result of his extensive travel in the district.
on http://www.frankmurray.com.au/?page_id=743
and he is listed as clergy in Carcoar on http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-PusNumb-t1-g1-t2-body-d1-d4.html but I can't really see when that represents.

Mosher

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am off early tomorrow for a Murphy family reunion in the town they settled in (Benambra).  I am hoping I might get some stories, altho info on James may be hoping for too much. 

A local historian, Max Dyer, is launching his new book at our little "do" so we should all have a great time.

Catherine did settle (and die) in the same area, so you never know!

Fingers crossed.   ;D

Mosher

Offline attunga11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just come across one of your roots chat scavenger hunts from May 2010, regarding a very elusive James Murphy, the opening information has listed the children of James Murphy and Catherine Kelleher aka Callagher, Callaghan, Higgins, Sheehan, Smith and Walker, my great great grandfather Philip 1837-1877 has been left off that list. I was wondering if there has been any more information on James as I have joined the queue in trying to find out who he was, including one who arrived on the Andromeda 2 in 1830. Regards

Offline RyanMurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 05 October 20 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Sorry to bump an old thread like this, but I am also trying to obtain information on my GGGGF James Murphy, the partner of Catherine Higgins/Shean/Callagher/Smith

I’m kind of reverse searching his parents to work out who he was.

I have noticed on Ancestry that he possibly had the parents “Tim Murphy” and “Ellen Sullivan”. This didn’t excite me too much, however on the crappy NSW BDM’s cert I got for their son John Murphy it listed a “sponsor/Godparent” as Ellen Murphy which is presumably Ellen Sullivan. I’m hoping I’ll have better luck find something on his parents.

If anyone has additional information after all this time, I’d love for someone to flick me an message to discuss.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 15:18 BST (UK) »

I have noticed on Ancestry that he possibly had the parents “Tim Murphy” and “Ellen Sullivan”. This didn’t excite me too much, however on the crappy NSW BDM’s cert I got for their son John Murphy it listed a “sponsor/Godparent” as Ellen Murphy which is presumably Ellen Sullivan. I’m hoping I’ll have better luck find something on his parents.

The Ellen Murphy who was John's sponsor would have been a different Ellen Murphy to the one who was his mother. Parents can't be godparents. Siblings can and were godparents in big families so the possibility that Ellen was an elder sister should be kept in mind. Choice of godparents may have been influenced by who was available.   
Cowban

Offline RyanMurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 21:54 BST (UK) »

The Ellen Murphy who was John's sponsor would have been a different Ellen Murphy to the one who was his mother. Parents can't be godparents. Siblings can and were godparents in big families so the possibility that Ellen was an elder sister should be kept in mind. Choice of godparents may have been influenced by who was available.   

Thank you! Annoying that it isn’t his mum, but good that this info could open up some more things for me to research.

Offline attunga11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 05:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a copy of the original transcript of that James Murphy’s baptism, dated 14th October, 1816. It says the parents are Tim Murphy and Ellen Sullivan, and the sponsors are Denis Murphy and Mary Cotter.  Because of the date 1816 I thought this might be the James Murphy who arrived age 14 on the Andromeda in 1830, not one of the two who arrived on the Lonarch. 
Ellen Murphy the sponsor for their son John could be a relative, there are a few Ellen Murphy’s on the convict lists, maybe she followed in her brothers footsteps

Offline RyanMurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a copy of the original transcript of that James Murphy’s baptism, dated 14th October, 1816. It says the parents are Tim Murphy and Ellen Sullivan, and the sponsors are Denis Murphy and Mary Cotter.  Because of the date 1816 I thought this might be the James Murphy who arrived age 14 on the Andromeda in 1830, not one of the two who arrived on the Lonarch. 
Ellen Murphy the sponsor for their son John could be a relative, there are a few Ellen Murphy’s on the convict lists, maybe she followed in her brothers footsteps

Thanks, Attunga. I have that transcript as well and have been attempting to find Tim & Ellen somewhere to try to track James but haven’t found anything yet.

The 1816 born James Murphy seems to be the most popular answer for the father of John, but I wish I could find something more ironclad. I want to get ahold of birth certificates for his children but it seems only baptism records are available.