Author Topic: SIT: Dropdown menu options  (Read 11403 times)

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
SIT: Dropdown menu options
« on: Tuesday 04 May 10 19:09 BST (UK) »
Are we to put country of origin before the UK, or just recent location here?  My British families came from Poland and Lithuania before England, and those countries are not in the dropdown menu.

I also noticed the list is not in alphabetical order, can that be fixed?  I thought Germany was not  there until I looked up  higher on the menu for  it.

Thanks 

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dropdown menu options
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat :)

The drop-down menu is mainly for countries which also have a drop-menu for regions or counties. Any country not in this list can be written in the place name field.  However, new countries can be added by request, so I'll add Poland and Lithuania a.s.a.p. (and fix the alphabetic oreder while I'm at it  ;D ).

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome, seems I had registered a year ago but not posted yet, amazing!
The drop-down menu is mainly for countries which also have a drop-menu for regions or counties. Any country not in this list can be written in the place name field.  However, new countries can be added by request, so I'll add Poland and Lithuania a.s.a.p. (and fix the alphabetic oreder while I'm at it  ;D ).

Bob

Thanks for doing that.  I still am  a bit confused, it looks like some people write more in a comments field about migration and ethnicity.  Is it better to list both origin outside of England as well as where they primarily lived?  I have to figure out how to enter a family that moved a lot:  Lithuania to  Warwickshire to Liverpool and then  Canterbury, then  Sunderland,  and on to Bristol and Cardiff, Wales!    Manchester also figures in somehow.

I guess I can enter the 4 most important locations for the one surname, so  4  entries, one for each primary locale, or is it just spelling variants that need multiple entries?   

Thanks

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 19:41 BST (UK) »
Seperate entries for name variations are good, as they are easier to see with others of that name.

All other fields are optional, so it's up to you how much you write and where, but as long as the surname and main locations are there, you don't need to give a detailed history.

Poland and Lithuania are now in the Countries drop-down menu.  And I've corrected the order of output.  I use the international country codes internally to save space, and these codes were sorted alphabetically - I've now sorted the country names alphabetically :)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline thecohens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 23:53 BST (UK) »
thanks, now I get to go figure out which surnames of mine and what to say. looks like I'll be the first using these unless someone else is faster on making entries, but I am sure I won't be alone there for long.  ;o)