Author Topic: Who Do You Think You Are - Eighth Series  (Read 21099 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are - Eighth Series
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 May 10 11:47 BST (UK) »

With a name like Konnie Hug - are we talking trips to faraway places?

Jill

Yep Konnie Huq is an Asian girl(I think) born in Hammersmith  ;D ;D

She is the longest serving female BP presenter apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konnie_Huq

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 May 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Konnie Huq was born in Hammersmith and brought up in Ealing. 

Dunno if she would describe herself as "Asian" - her parents are Bangladeshi.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 May 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
From memory, WDYTYA is normally on around June.  The election and the World Cup are playing havoc with the normal state of play (The Apprentice, for instance - normally March to May - has been recorded, but can't be shown due to the political inclinations of the Main Man).

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 May 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
WDYTYA tends to like to have a few celebs whose ancestry orginated from abroad.

Junior Apprentice starts the week after next, with Alan Sugar and his side kicks (sadly not Margaret as she has retired).

Sarah
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 May 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
WDYTYA often have episodes on the shelf which are carried forward for another series.  I believe Kevin Whately's had been "shelved" for several series before being shown.

What I would like to see is one episode per series of an ordinary person getting the same kind of access that the celebs get.   Rather on the lines of "So You Think You are Royal".  Possibly through a competition.
And although Parky had no interesting ancestors, all miners & ag labs it would have been good to see how they dealt this this ordinary history which is reminiscant of so many of ours.

Some years ago I contacted the Goldsmiths Company regarding records of "Goldbeaters" to be told that they had nothing that could help me as goldbeaters were not really craftsmen!!

Lo and behold up pops Kensit (oh let me find another pop star to marry!) and the Goldsmiths Company were brownnosing to the point of obscenity to help and they found they record that I had been told they did not keep.   As you can tell I was not impressed!!

Welsh TV has done some good half hour programmes which have popped up on the history chanel, and one of those was Susan Sarandon, which begs the qeustion why do her again for the US WDYTYA?

Also maybe us the viewers could be asked to nominate a famous person who we would like to see (and no I am not asking for suggestions here!!) and if that person was agreeable a special could be done for the viewers.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Ronbucks

• RootsChat Member
  • The Lion Rampant;The Flag Of The Kings Of Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 May 10 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Monty Don was being filmed at Scotland's General Register House about three weeks ago when I was last in. They said it was for the American series ?

Regards

Ron

Brown, Easson, Baird, Wilkie, Winton, Minto, Devine, Hill, Porter, Bruce, Halket, Martin, Watson, Devine, Galloway, Fernie, Abercrombie, Skirving, Hunter, Aitken, McNair, Wishart, Tyrie, Smith, Fairweather, McLean, De Palma, Hastings, Russell, Christie, McDead, Gartshore, Chalmers, Fyall, Anderson

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 May 10 12:28 BST (UK) »
Would Monty Don be that well known in the US?
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline cae howell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 May 10 13:40 BST (UK) »
They have been filming around the Benllech area Anglesey  for the next series knowbody could find out who it was for, top secret
griffiths Anglesey,, thomas Holyhead,,Liverpool

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 May 10 17:54 BST (UK) »
Apparently the BBC were due to show the US version about now but they have shelved it indefinitely, so God knows when we will see it!
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery