Author Topic: Cootehill, Monaghan  (Read 9989 times)

Offline DarrenO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Cootehill, Monaghan
« on: Tuesday 04 May 10 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Could someone kindly tell me what parish Cootehill is in, I've been looking at the Duffy pedigree and it mentions an Owen Duffy from Cootehill in 1865. There is an Owen from Cootehill, Cavan at this time in my wife's family tree and wondering if there is a connection or if any of the Owens listed in Monaghan by Griffiths are actually the Owen referred to.

If there is a connection the pedigree goes back a further five generations.

Regards
Darren
Rourke's, Bowe's and Lawlor's of Carlow  Adamson's, Walker's, Nugent's and Murphy's of Dublin  O'Dea's and Keating's of Limerick  Murtagh's and Reilly's of Westmeath

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cootehill, Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 May 10 13:56 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline DarrenO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 May 10 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you, unfortunately that is Cootehill, Cavan, there is a Cootehill in Monaghan

The reason i'm asking is because of this link http://www.mymcdermottfamily.com/Duffy/duffy.pdf (see page 5)
I'm trying to find out what parish Cootehill, Monaghan is in to see if there is an Owen Duffy listed in Griffiths Valuation.

If Cootehill, Monaghan is in Ematris for example then I can probably discount any link between my wife's Owen Duffy and the Owen Duffy in the link above.

Regards
Darren
Rourke's, Bowe's and Lawlor's of Carlow  Adamson's, Walker's, Nugent's and Murphy's of Dublin  O'Dea's and Keating's of Limerick  Murtagh's and Reilly's of Westmeath

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 10 22:14 BST (UK) »
http://www.bookrags.com/wiki/List_of_Townlands_in_County_Monaghan#C  but no Cootehill townland, then you have the likes of this " born 9 May 1886 in Lisseveny, Ematris Parish, Co. Monaghan, Northern Ireland, was christened 12 Aug 1886 in Rockcorry Church, District Cootehill, Co. Monaghan" which seems contradictory.

The mention of Cootehill sure causes confusion as I have relatives married in Rockcorry but when I try to tell other people that their relatives are mine they insist they are not because the lived in Cootehill, they don't seem to realize there are 2 Cootehills within walking distance of each other yet different counties.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 May 10 22:24 BST (UK) »
Google maps shows signs of a place named Cootehill just over the border in Co. Monagahan (see Cootehill, Cavan to Cootehill, Monaghan ) but when you zoom in there's nowhere shown by that name... the place marked at the location is Mount Lodge and this corresponds to the townland of Mountain Lodge Desmese on the old OSI maps. The townland database (www.thecore.com/seanruad) list the details for this as:

Townland : Mountain Lodge Demesne   
 Civil Parish : Aghnamullen    
 Poor Law Union (registration distrct) : Cootehill    
 County : Monaghan

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 May 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
Cootehill is in Co. Cavan but very close to the border with Co. Monaghan. However, part of Cootehill Poor Law Union is in Co. Monaghan. Griffith's Valuation (1858) shows an Owen Duffy listed under the townland of Monneill, Ematris Parish, Cootehill PLU, Co. Monaghan.
www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml
Note: there are also listings for Owen Duffy on Drumhillagh townland (Drung Parish, Cootehill PLU) and Church St., Magheranure townland (Drumgoon Parish, Cootehill PLU).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 May 10 22:44 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/08ms/   shows the two Cootehills, one the town and the other the townland (just South of East) if you just follow along the Cavan/Monaghan borderline.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 May 10 22:53 BST (UK) »
Google maps shows signs of a place named Cootehill just over the border in Co. Monagahan (see Cootehill, Cavan to Cootehill, Monaghan ) but when you zoom in there's nowhere shown by that name... the place marked at the location is Mount Lodge and this corresponds to the townland of Mountain Lodge Desmese on the old OSI maps. The townland database (www.thecore.com/seanruad) list the details for this as:

Townland : Mountain Lodge Demesne   
 Civil Parish : Aghnamullen    
 Poor Law Union (registration distrct) : Cootehill    
 County : Monaghan

Shane

Sorry Shanew our posts crossed.  You are indeed correct, first it is there, then it disappears when you zoom in.  I've relatives there but they are not in Aughnamullen Parish records but are in Rockcurry and Ematris. The joys of Civil Parish versus Church Parish and the confusion thereof and that's forgetting about the PLU!

Offline DarrenO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 May 10 23:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for getting involved in this thread. I can confirm that my wife's Owen Duffy is the Drumgoon parish one. He was a house painter and glazier and died in 1877 (aged 80 per the death cert). Familysearch has shows the Owen Duffy in the link as being born abt. 1785 so perhaps there is no connection and I won't be able to go back any further than I have.

Regards
Darren