Author Topic: Marriage in Jersey  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Annie46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage in Jersey
« on: Wednesday 05 May 10 01:24 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out about the marriage of my greatgrandfather James Thomas Martin. In the 1851 census James is working in St Helier and living in Dale Cottage, St Saviours Rd. He was a tailor and married to a lady called Margaret who was Jersey born. They were both 27, born in 1824 or so. James was born in Menheniot Cornwall and I have found him in 1841 aged 15 (rounded down) as a tailor's apprentice and in 1851 when he was a widower and in the RN in Plymouth as a ship's tailor. There seems to be no record of a marriage in England for James and Margaret so I am supposing that they married in St Helier possibly between about 1847 and 1851. There were no children in 1851. Any help would be much appreciated

Anne

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

It took just a couple of minutes to find the marriage of a James Thomas Martin in the St Helier Parish index, Dec 1847 to Jan 1851 on page 98.

On page 98, there is only one Margaret and that is for Margaret Odgers. However, I need to check the certificate to make sure that is correct.

Working on the presumption that is the right wife, I can see the baptism of a Peggy Ann Odgers on 7th Jul 1824. There was no Margaret in St Helier from 1817 to 1838 so I assume that Peggy was the alternative to Margaret.

If that is the case then she had a brother called James, baptised 6th Sep 1818 and Louisa, baptised 25th Oct 1822.

Parents were William Odgers and Esther Dodge.

I'll get back to you when I've seen the marriage certificate.

Stewart

Offline Annie46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 05:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. Can't wait to get the results from you

Anne

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 May 10 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

I have now seen the certificate!

JTM married MO on 10th Jun 1849 at St Helier Parish Church. He was 25, a bachelor and gave his occupation as a tailor. He lived in St Helier and gave his place of birth as Menheniot, Cornwall. His father was William Martin, a carpenter.

MO was a spinster aged 25 and had no occupation. She lived and was born in St Helier. Her father was William Martin a carpenter.

Witnesses were John Jackman and Louise Ellen Cash(?). Could LEC have been her sister??

Stewart

Offline Annie46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 May 10 01:32 BST (UK) »
That is definitely him. Thanks so much. Margaret had died before 1860 as James was then in Plymouth. Is there a record of her death in St Helier please. There is no record of any children as my grandmother was born from the second marriage in Plymouth.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 12:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry to say that I cannot see a MM death in St Helier between her marriage and 1860.

Incidentally I noticed a small typo in my last post. MO's father should read William Odger, not William Martin!

Stewart

Offline Annie46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 May 10 13:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks anyway. You are doing a terrific job and I really appreciate what you have done

Anne