Author Topic: Manchester engineering company - Francis Shaw & Co  (Read 17049 times)

Offline Gill-PFH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Manchester engineering company - Francis Shaw & Co
« on: Wednesday 05 May 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know how I might go about finding out about the early history of a Manchester engineering company, Francis Shaw & Co Ltd?

I think the company started around the mid 1880s.
It was in Corbett St, Bradford, Manchester and I believe it was an engineering company that made machinery for rubber extruding etc.

I've found a few snippets on the London Gazette website and a few listings on Historical Directories. Also a couple of references to Francis Shaw from random Googling, but the site it took me to had no sources so I don't know where it got its information from.

If anybody can help with anything about Francis Shaw, or the company, or ideas of where else I can try, I'd be really grateful.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester engineering company - Francis Shaw & Co
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 14:45 BST (UK) »
There is an image of the office building on the Manchester image site if you haven't got one?
Click on the image to make bigger, and then again for a view of the image on it's own.
Migky  ;)

Click for Manchester images

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 May 10 10:01 BST (UK) »
Gill, I tried the A2A site and found a link that for a photo held at Greater Manchester Record Office have of apprentices
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=124-346&cid=3&kw=francis%20shaw#3
GMCRO's website is "being redeveloped" so there are no links/search facilities etc available as I type. You could try calling them in case they have any other relevant records:
http://www.gmcro.co.uk/
Manchester's Museum of Science and Industry has some company & trade association material - it may be worth seeing if they have anything relevant:
http://www.mosi.org.uk/

As the company was Manchester based you could try the Guardian archives - some libraries have free access, otherwise you would need to pay. You can do some basic searching without charge to see if there would be anything of interest. (As an aside their infamous typos are not a new thing... so vary searches as much as you can).
http://www.rootschat.com/links/08mh/

I think the "Gale" newspaper archive of 19th century newspapers also has some Manchester content (Manchester Times I think) - again some libraries have access or there is a charge.

Offline Gill-PFH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 10 14:19 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for both these replies.

The photo of the offices dates from the 1960s, so is a bit later than I'm after, but it's still interesting to see.

I also found that reference at TNA to a photo of apprentices at Francis Shaw & Co in 1917.
I emailed GMCRO a couple of months back but had no reply - I suspect it's not really the greatest timing for them right now in their temporary home!
I also had a look on the MOMI website a while back but couldn't see anything likely, though they may have lots more material that isn't listed online of course.

The Manchester Guardian might be a better bet, so I will definitely try searching the Guardian archives (and thanks for the typos tip!). Maybe there will be a death notice or obituary even, perhaps.
And I haven't heard of the Gale archive before, so that will be worth trying too.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.
Gill

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 May 10 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

It looks as they still exist here at CorbettSt in some form

http://www.do-business.net/Indexer/Company/Francis-Shaw-Co-(Manchester)-Ltd

form, but from GoogleBooks they seem to be a huge conglomeration.

Only an address given -no phone or email but is it worth contactig them and asking if  they- or current owners have a museum or archive?

By the  way, I'd  be interested to know more about your early Shaws
Best wishes

Emms.

Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline DanRobin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 July 10 21:22 BST (UK) »
This may be of some interest. I have an early hand operated injection moulding machine made by Francis Shaw probably in the 30's which now just acts as a piece of sculpture in our house. (pictures attached) It was bought just after the war by my father and was the first machine of his company Rolinx Ltd. This machine was in use during the 50s and then was abandoned until the 25th anniversary of the company in 1973 when it was restored and put on show in the entrance hall of the offices. In 2007 the company finally closed down and I rescued the old machine as I couldn't bear to see it scrapped. It now works again and it's fun to demonstrate it. It was used in the production of the roll top pencil boxes and cigarette boxes which Rolinx produced in the 50s. Rolinx then went on to make much bigger mouldings such as car parts, washing machine parts and in the 70's the Topper boat.
You may learn more about Francis Shaw from the Plastics Historical Society, try this link. FS is mentioned under 1861 as the inventor of the screw extrusion machine. A very important part of the modern plastics injection process.   

http://plastiquarian.com/index.php?id=13&subid=135&osCsid=24b28b6a6476e2bbd1ca96972a1ef344

I could do some better photos.

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 July 10 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Dan Robin

Welcome to Rootschat!

What a fascinating reply on your first post!

Some great resources as well as the photo of your own machine.

I love to see these old machines in good order, and that one looks beoutiful.

The site on the history of this use of plastics is amazing too.

I'll be looking again at that site.

Thank you again for all that interesting material.

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 July 10 08:57 BST (UK) »
Gill.
If this link does'nt work, Google Graces Guide and search for Francis Shaw, there is a write up regarding same'

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/wiki/Francis_Shaw_and_Co

Dan Robin, I knew Rolinx well , i was in the plastics industry from 1958 onwards, if my memory is correct the boat was moulded on a Windsor machine x 2, they could be seperated and used individually when not making boats.
Re your house machine, my first experience of working in plastics was on one of it's brothers in the lab. at Sterling Moulding Materials, Stalybridge

Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline DMickG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 June 13 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I hope I haven't come to this thread too late.

According to my mother, my great aunt, Margaret Bryan (b. 1885) married a William Shaw who was from the Shaw's Engineering family. My searches have not found much apart from a marriage in 1919 Q3 between a Margaret Bryan and a William A Shaw.

Have you got any further information? Thanks.