Author Topic: mitchells in man  (Read 10016 times)

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mitchells in man
« on: Thursday 06 May 10 18:00 BST (UK) »
looking for peter mitchell my g.grandfather,born bury lancs 1879.he must have lived on the isle of man as i have a photo of him in douglas, and he had two daughters born there. one was called christine circa 1903. and mona born circa 1902. i belive that mona died age seven months, and is in braddan church yard any info would be great ...rob g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: mitchells in man
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 May 10 18:45 BST (UK) »
Where did you get the info re: children from?

Do you have the family on the 1911 census?  Were they in the IOM at that time

Mona was buried 8.10.1902 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 May 10 19:19 BST (UK) »
hi, carolew. thanks for the reply,my father told me he had two aunts  in iom, that they were called christine and mona, it seems that my g.grandfarther called another daughter mona after losing one.i was told that these two women went back to the iom and had a small hotel or b&b. i have them in the 1911 census living with my g.grandfather in barrow in furness lancs, but mona as a different date and place of birth. it gives christine as born in iom 1903/04? the entry was very faded, mona was buried in october 1902. but as i say she is not the one in the 1911 census. the info on the children came from a maureenc on the manx heritage site.( www.isleofman.com) peter born 1879 was a china and carpet dealer, and may have been on the iom selling for a time. thanks again for your reply if i can give any more info please ask, thanks..rob g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 10 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

i have them in the 1911 census living with my g.grandfather in barrow in furness lancs, but mona as a different date and place of birth. it gives christine as born in iom 1903/04

I think you need to check that 1911 census entry - there is no Christine in that household and Mona's parents seem to be Charles aged 36 and Ann aged 39

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 May 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
www.iomfhs.im  has a birth entry for a Rebecca Mitchell b 15.1.1898 Douglas parents Charles Mitchell and Ann Haward

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 May 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
I suggest you look up 1911 census -Christian Mitchell -note spelling (she was Peter's daughter)

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 May 10 20:50 BST (UK) »
It seems Charles and peter Mitchell were brothers

Charles has a daughter Mona

Maybe Peter did but there is no sign in 1911 - although Peter and wife had 12 children but only 6 survived

Peter and Charles had similar occupations and Charles had at least 6 children -2 of them were born IOM-where out of peter's survivng children only Christine was b IOM

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 May 10 22:48 BST (UK) »
Peter Mitchell b 1880 is shown as b Skerton nr Lancaster - not Bury.  The 2 places are over 50miles apart

However - the 1881 shows him and brother Charles b Bury

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 May 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
Christian/Christine is shown as aged 9 - parents Peter & Mary

IOM records show her as Christina b 1903/4 Douglas

Mona was b 1902 IOM and died October 1902 IOM as per my reply above but no parents shown

The other Mona is shown as aged 8 parents Charles & Ann but b Skerton