Author Topic: mitchells in man  (Read 9979 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: mitchells in man
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 May 10 23:10 BST (UK) »
Peter & Mary Mitchell were living in Blackburn in 1901 and Barrow in Furness in 1911 so their stay in the IOM appears to be a short one as they had a daughter b 1906/7 in Ulverston
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 May 10 08:57 BST (UK) »
many thanks to all who gave time to search and reply, i it was helpful and has made things a bit clearer. although i woud still be interested to know more about peter mitchell stay on iom. i will to try and answer some of the questions raised, first peter mitchell  b.1879 wife mary,were  romany, and lived in a caravan lots of the time, but also had houses,so thats why he is found miles apart at times, charles is peters brother,i did not know he had lived on iom.in the 1911 census christian, is christine, and living at 6 union st barrow. mona is with charles as said,in 1901 census charles is down at 116 main st lancaster.so must have moved soon after to iom.i was led to belive mona was christines sister.maybe my dad got it wrong, but there is a romany thing that may give some light,if room was tight children were moved within the family.i had a cousin bill who lived with us for months at a time.and people thought he was my brother? also we do give the same name to our children time after time. there are six robert mitchells in carlisle alone, all full cousins. one lived with us for years. as we moved about children may not see parents for a long time, and could be on censuses as family members.but i think mona must be charles mitchells daughter,and peter lost his mona. i have a picture of rebecca age 15. and christine. taken 1912. so thanks once more for all interest shown. and as i said if there is any more info i would be greatful for it. sorry to be so long, .. rob g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Roma N

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 January 20 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rob
I’m in very early stages of looking into our family history but I’m related to William Mitchell through my maternal grandmother Bessie.  She was also a resident in IOM and I knew a Mona there. 

Anyway, just thought I’d say hello. I’m on FB Romapaloma Blanca

My married name is Newburn andI live in Blackpool. Grew up in Blackburn.

Roma 😊