Author Topic: McCarthy nicknames near Skibbereen - oh my!  (Read 17579 times)

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
McCarthy nicknames near Skibbereen - oh my!
« on: Saturday 08 May 10 04:44 BST (UK) »
If anybody is well-versed in McCarthy agnomens, I'd love to hear from you. 

Drawing from various sources (Southern Star news archives; The Book of Irish Families, Great and Small; Tim Cadogan articles; Riobard O'Dwyer articles) I have collected the following McCarthy surnames:

Reagh, Rabagh, Crimeen, Spawnach, Mucklagh, Cawsca, Samhna (Sowney), Cunic, Tollin, Bawny (or Bawnee), Fairsinn (Fortune), Glas, Duna (or Dooney), and Mountain.

My question is, is there a McCarthy-Looney or McCarthy-Louney?  I am finding these in the handwritten Griffiths records of Caheragh civil parish, which I suspect is really mistranscribed Sowney.  Whomever wrote these records sometimes wrote an initial S (as in Sullivan) as a perfect snake, detached from the remainder of the name.  Sometimes the record taker wrote the initial letter so it looped at the bottom and attached to the rest of the name - like an L.    :o
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline oldkingkole

• RootsChat Extra
  • west Cork and around Cork Harbour
    • View Profile
Re: McCarthy nicknames near Skibbereen - oh my!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 July 10 10:22 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandmother was  Catherine McCarthy from Farrandeligeen, just south of Castlehaven near where the old  Castlehaven church was.
On her marriage certificate to Michael Driscoll someone added in brackets after McCarthy "Crimmen".
On one of her  childrens birth certificates her last name was put as Crimmen and on other certs as McCarthy.
O Driscoll, McCarthy, Collins, Fitzgerald, Johnson, Gunn, Swanton, Barry, O'Neill, O'Mahony,
O Donoughue, O Mahony, Connolly, Cadogan.

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 20:32 BST (UK) »
My Gerat Grandmother was a Catherine McCarthy from Farrandeligeen, just south of Castlehaven near where the old  Castlehaven church was.
On her marriage certificate to Michael Driscoll someone added in brackets after McCarthy "Crimmen".
On one of her  childrens birth certificates her last name was put as Crimmen and on other certs as McCarthy.

I have been transcribing the Tithe Applotments of several of the civil parishes and yes I do see a lot of Crimeen in Caheragh, definitely some Sowney in Drimoleague.  I'm not sure about some of the entries west of R593 though.  Some may be Lowney.  Some may really be McCarthy Sowney.   Sometimes L looks like S.
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Names of Skib continue to confuse me.
Off there in a couple of weeks and will add any info on return.
Looking for Bohane,McCarthy,Hegarty and Driscoll.Know that all these names are written in different forms depending on the way spoken and the ability of the recorder to write!
They also tag the name to mean white haired or big/tall etc,can be Gaelic language.
Know that lots of new info on line June 2010 from the Irish Gov.Worth taking a look and its free!
Miggs191
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 19:21 BST (UK) »
Bohane may be an agnomen for Driscoll, as may Finucane, Minihane, Whooly, and a bunch of others. 

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~colin/DriscollOfCork/DNA.htm

I have a Driscoll in my family tree and in about another month or so after I get back some data from GRO she will become a research project unto herself.

When the Old Age Pension Act of 1908 went into effect some people couldn't find their own baptismal certificates to submit as proof of age.   Pensioner Jeremiah McCarthy might have been recorded in the records as something like Darby Bawn and he may not have recognized himself.   

Margaret at Skibbereen Heritage Centre has done an enormous amount of work on my family tree starting from a year ago when I visited.  From everything she has dug up  I have learned how genealogy problems can start right in the baptismal record.  Sometimes peoples' names get transposed (father should be sponsor, vice versa), sometimes a priest is hard of hearing or is spelling challenged and writes something down with a wacky spelling, etc.  On occasion maybe the priest was completely absent-minded and forgot to write anything down at all.

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 19:35 BST (UK) »
Skib.
Yes many problems arise.
My lot are from Castlehaven..Killaderry.
I have just found my Grandfather named as Sullivan and arrowed in as Bohane.Strangely my mother always said we were Sullivans.Of course the mystery is why?
Best source is to talk.
Going to visit very old relative in the next couple of weeks and hope to ask her many questions.
Will add any info here on return.
Skib Heritage centre is brilliant and so helpful.
M.
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline lamahorse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 November 14 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the thread necromancy but I discovered a McCarthy 'Nagehy' from Mohonagh, just two or three miles from Skibbereen for the Tithes (1829).

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?county=Cork&parish=Aghadown&townland=Middle%20Moghna&search=Search

Owen McCarthy Alias 'Nagehy'.

Mysterious!

And yes, according to the church records; an Owen McCarthy married a Biddy Bohane. They had a few children and sometimes she's listed as Biddy Sullivan. My grandaunt once said that Bohane is Sullivan Bán.

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McCarthy nicknames near Skibbereen -Killaderry
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 November 14 09:31 GMT (UK) »
I think I've already posted but just to be up to date for your info my late mother always said we were really Sullivans and my grandfather's entrance in 1864 in the Castlehaven register is Peter Sullivan. Sullivan is crossed through and Bohane written above. All my research going back to 1820 for Killaderry (bounding The Lis Ard Estate owned by The O'Donovan but they did not own Killaderry ) shows that most were Bohane and still are ! I am trying to work out how we are all linked as the family story goes that one Bohane arrived and as  time  went by the land was split.However,I'm sure all families have these stories but think they must be based on a grain of truth.By any chance do you know anything about Killaderry? The place you refer to I think is where my great grandmother lived at one time with her daughter.I met a wonderful man John when in Skib in the summer and Bohanes are linked through marriage.They also are linked to the Bohanes of Skib itself.It appears all from Killadery.
Hope this may be of help to you.    :)
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline lamahorse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McCarthy nicknames near Skibbereen -Killaderry
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 November 14 20:19 GMT (UK) »
I think I've already posted but just to be up to date for your info my late mother always said we were really Sullivans and my grandfather's entrance in 1864 in the Castlehaven register is Peter Sullivan. Sullivan is crossed through and Bohane written above. All my research going back to 1820 for Killaderry (bounding The Lis Ard Estate owned by The O'Donovan but they did not own Killaderry ) shows that most were Bohane and still are ! I am trying to work out how we are all linked as the family story goes that one Bohane arrived and as  time  went by the land was split.However,I'm sure all families have these stories but think they must be based on a grain of truth.By any chance do you know anything about Killaderry? The place you refer to I think is where my great grandmother lived at one time with her daughter.I met a wonderful man John when in Skib in the summer and Bohanes are linked through marriage.They also are linked to the Bohanes of Skib itself.It appears all from Killadery.
Hope this may be of help to you.    :)

My great grandmother Norah Bohane was from Kilderry. She was a Sullivan 'Bán' so I suppose that's how I know about that too. Even more interesting is that my ggg-grandfather's possible brother Owen McCarthy (not sure if it's the Nagehy Owen as he's there earlier) married Biddy Bohane who has her name written as Sullivan for some of their children with the same address.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Castlehaven_North/Kilderry/1156784/

I imagine all these Bohanes are related. Five families in the same townland!

Appears we are related.