Author Topic: McCarthy nicknames near Skibbereen - oh my!  (Read 17580 times)

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCarthy nicknames near Skibbereen
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 November 14 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Hanora or Nora Bohane was my great grandmother.She died at her son's house in Killaderry on March 1st 1930.The newspaper states that she was 106 and was born in 1824.
Her family name was Carthy.

However we have a second death cert for a Norah Bohane of Killaderry died in 1885 aged 41.We had thought she was 'ours' but Margaret at the Heritage centre sorted it out!

I believe our Norah spent time living with her daughter who had been Mary Anne Bohane .She had married and became Driscoll.

The newspaper article lists the mourners. Mr Patrick Driscoll Mohonagh-son in law. It also lists my Uncles and Aunts and other Bohane family from Bridge Street (a Great Uncle )                                                                                                                                                                                                              and some in Townsend St (not sure how they fit ).

It does seem as if we are related !!! :) :) :) :)
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline Juno1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McCarthy nicknames near Skibbereen - oh my!
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 April 16 22:50 BST (UK) »
my great - grandmother was Ellen (Nellie) Bohane from Dunmanus, born 1849.  she married Lambert Hutchinson from Lancashire and lived in Scotland, Newry, South Africa, India and aldershot finally settling in Cork city.  Don't know if she is one of your Bohanes but if you have unearthed an Ellen/Nellie in your research I would love to know as I am drawing a blank as to who her family was.  Thanks.

Offline lamahorse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 April 16 23:26 BST (UK) »
miggs 191 > You should read up on Pat Driscoll (Mohonagh). He was a major figure in the IRA in Skibbereen and he's got a huge monument in the Old Abbeystrowy graveyard in Skibbereen. He was a first cousin of my g grandmother, Norah Bohane (1888-1980). My g grandfather Jack McCarthy of Mohonagh was also a first cousin of this Pat Driscoll. She was from Kiladerry.

Ursula > Have you tried Irish Church Records on the Irish genealogy website ? They have Cork Catholic Baptisms going back to around 1820.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 April 16 00:38 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandmother was  Catherine McCarthy from Farrandeligeen, just south of Castlehaven near where the old  Castlehaven church was.
On her marriage certificate to Michael Driscoll someone added in brackets after McCarthy "Crimmen".
On one of her  childrens birth certificates her last name was put as Crimmen and on other certs as McCarthy.

I've just come across this thread and my heart sank when I read the McCarthy surname could be replaced, as I'm currently trawling through all the online County Cork microfilms looking for the baptism of 10 year old Ellen McCarty
She's shown on the Cardiff 1841 census with parents Patrick and Mary (Mary's surname registered on a Welsh baptism as "Hurnting" but could possibly be "Harrington").
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 April 16 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Lamahorse, in that case we are related . My grandfathers sister Mary Anne born 1863 , married and went to live in Monaghan . My Uncle born 1901 "ran at the heels" of Pat of the IRA who died.
My grandparents were told their son had died and then it was found they had the wrong Pat !
Are you in contact with John McCarthy on here ? He is also related.
I am currently searching the 1823 onward records for all the Bohane's I can find,births,parents and sponsors.
I know all mine originated in Killaderry just off the Skib.to Tragumna Road.
Bridget ( my mother ) 1918
Peter (grandfather )1864
Michael (great grandfather. ) DoB not available
Peter (great great grandfather ) probably but can not prove
Daniel or Denis ( both in the town land on Griffiths but can't prove )
This takes me back to around 1790/1800
I stayed in the farmhouse which is now derelict, as a tiny child and visit every year with permission of the owners who are also Bohane's.
My mother's brothers left for the USA by 1922. Their name then became Bowen. Mum would have been four.
Would love to hear your links and other family names as cousins seem to have married cousins.
Bohane Carthy (McCarthy) Hegarty and Driscoll are my great grandparents.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Maggie
Hope this info is of some use.
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline lamahorse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 April 16 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie, that John McCarthy is my father.

Interesting that you say the Tragumna road. There is an inquest into a Denis? Bohane who died on the work scheme on that road during the famine. I believe the Famine Relief papers and Dippam have the information.

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 May 16 18:20 BST (UK) »
You mean the inquest during the famine? I've read that and it's heartbreaking. Can't make a direct link but all the Bohane's in Killaderry must be related. I have this wild idea of trying to use the Castlehaven baptisms to try and sort it out but I think it doesn't start till 1864.
I'm back next month in Skibb and hope to make some more links.
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 May 16 21:12 BST (UK) »
Ursuline,
I have an Ellen but you can rule her out as she was born Hegarty in 1877.
Have you looked through the Castlehaven baptism records ?
The other place in Co Cork to look is Kinsale but I don't know anything about them.
Good luck.
Miggs
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth

Offline SilkenTom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 August 18 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Skibbgirl,
I have never heard of a Lowney or Looney agronym of McCarthy.
(These are now (and in 1851 were already) family names in their own right but whether they were originally of the McCarthys I cannot say.  But you can find many Lowneys (in the same counties as McCarthys)

I have a copy of Irish Family Names by Peadar O'Donovan (Southern Star 1991).
He lists Muinig, Sowney, Guideach, Cnuic, Glas, Crimeen and Rabhach as a sample of the many nicknames.
I have also found this list online

https://mccarthydna.wordpress.com

As for distinguishing Ls and Ss in the handwritten surveys, it's useful to compare with other names where you know the initial letter is and L or S. 
For instance if you search for "Lowney" in Griffith's Valuation, you will find many in Co Cork or Kerry side by side with Sullivans and Sheehys for handy comparison.