Author Topic: 15 West Maitland Street Edinburgh - 1910  (Read 4807 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
15 West Maitland Street Edinburgh - 1910
« on: Saturday 08 May 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know how I can find out what type of premises 15 West Maitland Street was in 1910?  I have a birth registered there on 3 February 1910.  The child was then given up for adoption.

To my knowledge, the mother travelled from Strathspey to have the child.  Are there any directories for that era which may give me a clue?

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 15 West Maitland Street Edinburgh - 1910
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 May 10 14:11 BST (UK) »
The buildings in West Maitland Street have not changed since they were built in the late 19c.     Number 15 is a block of flats/apartments and using "Google" Maps Streetview you can see the building and entrance door (Blue) to the left of "Dimitri's and "Greggs"

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 May 10 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Une, I had found it on google maps and I must have driven past it many times.  Suppose I was wondering whether it had likely always been part of a tenement.  She doesn't give the flat number.

We'll perhaps never know if she rented the place or was staying with someone.  She was a woman of some means as I understand she was the proprietor of a reasonably sized hotel in Moray.

Another chatter has found a possible birth record in Aberlour and will let me have details when they are able to look at the records.  It may be where the birth actually happened there and then the mother came to Edinburgh to put the baby up for adoption.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline Carverj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 October 17 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hello there, i can see this thread is from some time ago however would you mind sharing any info. you found re the above address please ?
I have recently come across some info with this address and i know my grandfather was given up for adoption around this time too however this is not where he was born, any help much appreciated

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 October 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Carverj and welcome to Rootschat.

I'm at work at the moment so don't have access to my records.  I'll have a root around and get back to you soonest.

Kit

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 October 17 17:40 BST (UK) »
Another chatter has found a possible birth record in Aberlour
More likely that the birth occurred in Edinburgh. If a child was born in a district other than the one in which the parents normally lived, the details were passed on by the Registrar in the district of birth to the Registrar in the district of the parents' residence, and the result is two certificates for one birth. So if the certificate you already have says that the mother's residence was in Aberlour, the Aberlour record is not going to tell you anything you don't already know.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 14:08 BST (UK) »
Mrs Annie Robertson and Daniel M Price have (separate) entries at No.15 in 1909/10.

Price was a Bookseller and Stationer.  Mrs Robertson might be the person more worthy of investigation.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
Ah, thanks Hibee. 

I have tried to filter those living at 15 West Maitland Street in the 1911c.  I've also tried the Valuation Rolls (1905 and 1915) for the first time, without any joy.  I'm happy to spend money on credits but I just don't want to end up with useless records.

Do you have any advice on how to progress?  I'm not very practiced on searching in Scotland.

Edit:  BTW, I had already purchased the 1911 for Daniel and Margaret Price but there is no Mrs Robertson on that page.

Kit

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 15:50 BST (UK) »
Also, thanks, as always, to Forfarian for your advice.  Saved me 6 credits.  ;D

Kit