Author Topic: 15 West Maitland Street Edinburgh - 1910  (Read 4809 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 15 West Maitland Street Edinburgh - 1910
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Carverj, I don't have any more information on 15 West Maitland Street, although Hibee has intimated that there are records I haven't yet explored.

Please feel free to share what you know about your Grandfather's situation.  I know that everyone on this site will do their best to get to the bottom of it.  Please be aware though, we cannot mention details of those who might still be living.

To use the Private Message (PM) facility, you will need to send another 2 posts.  They don't need to be anything special.  Just a bit of info or a thank you.

Lets hope we can be of help to one another.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Carverj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 May 18 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hello there, i'm very sorry for the late reply !  My grandfathers situation is this:

He was born to a Sarah Rooney in Edinburgh in 1915.  The family story says his father went off to war and Sarah was left as an unmarried young mum, resulting in my Grandfather being raised by nuns and adopted later in his childhood.  I started researching my grandfather a few years ago and through some painstaking research with Lothian Health Board, discovered he was born in the new maternity hospital by Dr Haig Ferguson.  I then went on to discover that Sarah Rooney was admitted to an Edinburgh Asylum and died there 40 years later in 1960 !  Lothian Health Board have provided all the documents held from the Asylum for Sarah.  Sarah wrote to Dr Haig Ferguson when she was admitted to the Asylum asking why she had been admitted and refers to the time she spent with Dr Haig Ferguson at 15 West Maitland Street. 

I googled the address and found this thread.  It seems to me from what has been said that there is some similarity with our stories.  I have no idea why someone like Dr Haig Ferguson would be at such an address ?

I would be very grateful if anyone can offer me any advice and thankyou in advance for your time.

Kind regards

Jenny

Offline Carverj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 May 18 12:59 BST (UK) »

My grandfathers name was William Joseph Johnston Rooney, born at Edinburgh Royal Maternity Hospital in August 1915.

Thankyou

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 May 18 18:55 BST (UK) »
Dr Haig Ferguson opened the first mother and baby home for unmarried mothers in Edinburgh. It was called St Luke's home and was in Lauriston Place.  I wonder if the West Maitland address was a temporary home for the babies prior to their being placed for adoption.

Offline Carverj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 May 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hello & thanks for your reply.  Yes i know from the birth certs and papers from lothian health board that Sarah was at the mother and baby home and i think some form
of catholic home/church at Lauriston place both before & after the birth.  The LHA records also make reference to Dr James Haig Ferguson treating Sarah at the RM hospital - but as you say was the West Maitland Street house used for ? any suggestions as to where to research please ? thankyou

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 May 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
Dear Carverj, I wish I could offer more of an explanation for Sarah being at the 15 West Maitland Street address, presumably prior to giving birth to William in August 1915.  I only know that my husband's Great Grandmother travelled from Strathspey or Aberlour to give birth to her daughter at 15 West Maitland Street.  She was estranged from her husband, who appears to have been absent for a number of years, he even travelling to Canada during the absent years.  Her father and other family members owned Hotels, so she wasn't short of a bob or two.  We have no idea who the father of the child was.  Maybe a travelling salesman?  (She was 38 at this time, is cited as Managing one of the hotels and had two children and one who had died aged 6 just a year earlier.) The 1910 child was adopted by a family from the Scottish Borders and we have no idea how that was facilitated.  The mother had enough money to divorce her husband in 1918, which I doubt was overly common at that time?

shanghaipanda, many thanks for your contribution.  Dr James Haig Ferguson seems to have been a very prominent and important man in his field.  I wonder how well known it was that expectant mothers could seek his services.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie