Author Topic: #53 Mossley Hill Road - what happened to the house?  (Read 22917 times)

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
#53 Mossley Hill Road - what happened to the house?
« on: Sunday 09 May 10 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hello:  In my attempt to find my husband's ancestral family home which was listed on a census as #53 Mossley Hill Road, I came upon #51, then where #53 should have been was Rose Lane and then the University of Liverpool and further down the road was the Mossley Hill Parish Church.  I found a newspaper article stating that the Mossley Hill Parish Church had been rebuilt after a direct hit during an enemy raid on August 29th, 1940.  I was wondering if the house at #53 was hit at the same time.  If anyone has any information regarding this house history, I would be so very appreciative.  I am located in B.C. Canada.  Thanks.

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: #53 Mossley Hill Road - what happened to the house?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 May 10 01:06 BST (UK) »
Susan welcome to rootschat.

I don't know the answer to your question but emailing your question to  the Local Studies section of the library closest to Mossley Hill rd might provide  the answer.

charlotte

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 May 10 01:25 BST (UK) »
Charlotte:  Thank you so much.  I just realized that I omitted the region!  I am guessing I should have added Warrington, Lancashire, U.K.  Would that be the correct way to post the address?  I am not familiar with the names of the different regions, so I appreciate the fact that you were able to understand my post.  Thank you.  Susan

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 May 10 04:53 BST (UK) »
Susan, You are doing just fine ;D  Takes a bit of tme to get into the swing and we've all been new to the site.

Adding Warrington Lancs would be good- in general the best thing is to have name, place and some dates when referring to people and when talking about places, area and also some date.

charlotte :)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 May 10 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hiya Susan.....and welcome to Rootschat....don`t worry about making any little errors etc...it`s expected...if I wanted some info on Canada I`m sure I would not know the area...

OK Susan....I live 2 miles from Mossley Hill Church......
if you want any pics I can take them on my mobile phone and send you them...
also you can go to this site for Mossley Hill threads
as you will see Mossley Hill is the first one mentioned in the South area of Liverpool...

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?83-South

the homepage is

www.yoliverpool.com

it is a free site and just register....loadsa people from Mossley Hill use the site and will probably be more able to give you the info regards 53 Mossley Hill Rd...

Warrington is 20 miles away and nothing to do with Mossley Hill....
Mossley Hill is in Liverpool L18.......and this thread should be under the LANCASHIRE posts.....
could a moderator please move it ...thanks.....so Susan if you want any info regarding Mossley Hill just post.....actually..I`ll go to 53 Mossley Hill Rd today...it`s sunny here today so I`ll have a look for you....allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 May 10 07:31 BST (UK) »
You beat me to it Allan!  ;D

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 May 10 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

You might need to check an old map to see if there have been changes to the road layout. The road north of Rose Lane is now North Mossley Hill Rd and according to Google Eath the last house before Rose Lane is 51 North Mossley Hill Rd. Running south from Rose Lane is Mossley Hill Rd but its quite some distance before you have houses, starting at 1 Mossley Hill Rd. I can't identify no 53 for certain but the houses in that area are far to modern,

Andy

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 May 10 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hiya Susan....you`ve somehow been given the wrong info ...i think...I went this morning.and 53 Mossley Hill Rd IS THERE.....I`ve taken 4 photos....now I need to get them on this thread....allan

having problems...will have to wait for my wife to come in....to post the photos....1 of road sign Mossley Hill Road ..one of Mossley Hill Church and 2 of 53 Mossley Hill Road....post later when brain of Britain comes in....lol...allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 May 10 17:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who responded to my message.  I am astounded and so grateful for all the helpful links and information that I have received from everyone - I am truly amazed!  This is so exciting!  And to Garstonite (Allan), I can't thank you enough for your trouble in actually driving there to take a few pictures.  I am so looking forward to seeing them and, seriously, can't thank you enough for your kind gesture.  This is amazing!  Susan