Author Topic: 97th Regiment of Infantry  (Read 4995 times)

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
97th Regiment of Infantry
« on: Wednesday 19 May 04 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone advise with the following?

I'm looking for Edward Purcell of the 97 regiment of Infantry. He married Ann Knight (c 19.9.1806 at Burbage, Leics) but I've been unable to find their marriage.

Could the army chaplain have married them and would any records exist for this?

I have found the following children:

Thomas Purcell son of Edward & Ann born 1833 Colombo, Ceylon  97th Regiment

Eliza Purcell baptised Colombo, Ceylon 19.9.1834 by the Revd Father Antonio R.C.Priest.
Does this mean Edward was a Catholic or did one priest baptise everyone? Edward was then a Colour Sargeant.

Their son Samuel Purcell was born 1843 in Corfu.

Ann returned to Burbage and remarried there in 1847 She was a widow.

Eliza died in Burbage aged 27 in 1862 & her death certificate states she was the daughter of Edward Purcell, Sergeant Major, 97th Regiment (deceased).

I conclude from this that Edward died in service sometime between 1843 & 1847. Anyone know what the 97th were doing at that time?

Would love to find out more about him and where he came from. Have tried one or two sites but found them difficult to navigate.

criggy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline MrB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:97th Regiment of Infantry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 May 04 10:57 BST (UK) »
Information on 97th Foot at

http://www.regiments.org/milhist/uk/inf/097-824.htm

Merged in 1881 and became  part of Royal West Kent Regiment.

Have looked at WO97 on PRO site but could not see Edward Purcell.

Stuart

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re:97th Regiment of Infantry
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 May 04 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart

Thanks very much for your information and site reference. Will definitely look it up.

Thanks for looking.

criggy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)