Author Topic: from ashby de la zouch to hackney  (Read 7411 times)

Offline James of Dorset

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: from ashby de la zouch to hackney
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 March 13 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Barnes Slyfield Robinson was my Great Great Grandfather who served in the Royal Irish Fusiliers (89th Regt) in the Crimea and commanded them at El Teb in the Sudan.  Let me know if I can help further. 

Offline scarlettlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello James,

thanks for replying to my post, that sounds interesting.

Im sure that Barnes Slyfield Robinson is who Sir Barnes Wallis was partly named for.  Sir Barnes Wallis was my fathers uncle.  I have traced some of the the Wallis tree and the Robinson tree but i cannot find the birthplace or country of origin of Joseph Robinson snr Barnes Slyfields Robinsons father except a 1795 birthdate and marriage to anne georgina robinson in co aherlow ireland.  Joseph Robinsons children or some of them were born in Berbice Guyana. 

Offline James of Dorset

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Her name was Anne Bowles and she was born in Youghal in 1799 as stated in the 1851 census when she lived in Liscard.  We knew of a connection with Barnes Wallis but I will have to rediscover it.  Barnes Slyfied (photo attached) served in The Royal Irish Fusiliers, his daughter married my Great Grandfather who was a Lt in his Regiment at El Teb.  However, his Grandfather Gilbert served in another 61st of Foot securing the West Indies from the French and later he fought in the Peninsular war in the battle of Salamanca.  His father Joseph was also in the Army and retired as a Major having served in the West Indies. 

Offline scarlettlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello there James,

thanks so much for the amazing photograph, i will print off a copy if thats ok with you.

I am slowly unravelling the robinson/bowles strands.......annie g robinson was my great grandmother, she died in 1859 after the birth of Charles W.G. Robinson Wallis, Barnes's father and my great grandfather. I have traced the Bowles line right back to the time of Cromwells arrival in ireland and they seem to have lived in Youghal and Glenaboy where that is in Eire i dont know, Henry Bowles was a JP, of the Robinsons I dont know quite as much except what you have kindly filled in, do they originate in Eire or from elsewhere although Robinson seems to be an irish surname.