Author Topic: Duthie Family, Fordoun  (Read 10320 times)

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duthie Family, Fordoun
« on: Monday 10 May 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

I hope someone may be able to help me please.

My 3rd gt grandfather was Adam Duthie and the IGI gives a birth of 3 June 1795, Fordoun, father George.  He married Mary Wyllie (I have posted separately recently on the Wyllie family) 1 Dec 1823, Fordoun, his residence being Bridge of Leppie.  He died in 1837 and I have a photo which someone kindly gave me which gives the MIs for him, Mary Wyllie (who died 1876 Montrose)  and 3 of his children. On his MI he is a Blacksmith Bridge of Leppie.  I know roughly where Bridge of Leppie is, again thanks to someone who has assisted me with his MI.

According to the IGI/SP there are 5 siblings for Adam with a father George and mother Jean Cruickshank but Adam and his younger sister, Elspeth have George and no mother mentioned which has caused me major problems.

His siblings are:
Elspeth - 19 June  1797
Jean - 1 June 1801
James - 10 Oct 1803
Christian - 9 Sept 1806
David - 24 March 1809

I have the death certs for all, except Elspeth and they all give George Duthie and Jean Cruickshank as parents.  Of course, Adam died before registration  :(

Jean Duthie married John Thomson 23 June 1837 Fordoun, and died 10 March 1889, Dundee and her death cert gives her parents again, George Duthie and Jane/Jean Cruickshank.

Do you think I have the correct siblings for Adam Duthie?

DI have checked the IGI and SP for another Adam Duthie and there is no other mentioned for the time frame. Unless of course they are missing for some reason or he wasnt baptised which I don't really think happened.

I have all the Duthie baptism entries from Frodoun, together with the witnesses and for the 1st 3, one of the witnesses was "his brother James" and for Jean, also James Cruickshank s/t Tipperty.

I have a great map which shows me the whereabouts of Corsbits, Tipperty and another place associated with the family, South Blairs and they are all very close together.

Can I assume that I do have the correct family or where do I go from here please?

I have Jean Cruickshank in the 1841 Census in Fordoun living with her daughter Christian and her illegitimate son James Black but cant find her after this date or indeed her death/burial.

Sorry for the long posting but I really want to get to grips with this.

Thanks in anticipation ...

ADDED: I should perhaps mention that on SP none of the baptisms actually mentioned the mother Jean Cruickshank, only George is mentioned yet SP have Jean down in the search results as the mother but SP cant confirm why this is?!  ???

Offline Isles

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Duthie Family, Fordoun
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 May 10 14:20 BST (UK) »
I feel  you need have no worries that Adam's parents may not be George Duthie and Jean Cruickshank.  In the baptismal records it's not unusual to find that only the father's name is given (Fordoun Parish being a case in point).
If you enter George Duthie and Jean Cruickshank as the parents in the search index you'll find that there is no result, but if you only enter George Duthie you'll get a hit.  In other words SP has indexed the birth/baptism from the Parish register which only gives the father's name.
Thanks for the PM.  I'll get back to you when I have the photo you asked for.

Isles.

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Isles

Thanks for your confirmation; its always good to get someone elses point of view  :)

It is something I had wanted to clarify for a long time so thank you.

Offline robert46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 October 10 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hello, I've just come across this thread while searching for Jean Duthie of Fordoun who is an ancestor of mine.  I'm assuming it must be the same one, but was wondering what your source was for date of birth 1 June 1801 ?  The baptism record I can find in SP gives 25 January 1801

thanks

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 October 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert46

First of all, a warm welcome to Roots Chat; I am sure you will find it extremely useful just like I have!

With regard to Jean Duthie, sorry its a typo, it should have been January 1801 so apologies for the error.

I have a lot of information relating to the Duthie family and would be pleased to assist you - please feel free to personal message me (but you need to have posted a minimum of 3 posts on the boards before you can do this!)

Kind regards

Westwood1

Offline robert46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Westwood,

thanks for this. It sounds as though you have fascinating information. This will hopefully clock up one more post (are replies allowed...?)

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

yes replies are allowed, I think, so you just have one more to go!

Are you descended from Jean Duthie or is she a distant descendant?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Westwood1

Offline robert46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
Yes indeed, I believe direct ancestor (ggg-grandmother)

Offline robert46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 May 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
Just reactivating this thread to see whether anyone has more recent information about this family.

I've come round to looking at the Duthies again and have solved the mystery of the double OPR index entries for the children of George Duthie and Jean Cruickshank. After talking to Scotland's People it seems that there were indeed two different baptism registers in which five of the children appeared. The images available on SP are from volume 3 of the Fodoun OPR. The missing ones are from volume 4. Interestingly the dates in the latter aren't all the same as in volume 3 !
The baptism dates are

Elspeth -  19 June 1797 (same in both)
Jean - 1 Feb 1801 (vol 3: 28 Jan 1801)
James - 16 Nov 1803 (vol 3: 10 Oct 1803)
Christian - 7 Nov 1806 (vol 3: 9 Sept 1806)
David - 12 March 1809 (vol 3: 24 March 1809)

The last four entries indeed have both father and mother identified as George Duthie and Jean Cruickshank.

I also discovered another mistake in the OPR index.  George Duthie's burial was recorded as 26 Feb 1831 (*not* 1821). If he was actually 75 at time of death that would put his birth during 1755/6.