Author Topic: Catherine Thomas born cMar 1881  (Read 1953 times)

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Thomas born cMar 1881
« on: Tuesday 11 May 10 12:12 BST (UK) »
HI,I am researching Catherine Thomas who was born in Coedpoeth, Denbighshire in Mar 1881. I have been unable to find a marriage or death record that I can confidently say is Catherine. She was in Coedpoeth with her family in 1891 but her parents Henry and Mary Thomas were living in Festiniog in 1901 on their own. Her sister Sarah married in Festiniog in 1903 before moving to St Helen's. Brother William was in Cumberland and sister Mary was in Birkenhead  in 1901. Catherine seems to have disappeared. Can anyone help me trace her?  Thanks in anticipation NellieT

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Thomas born cMar 1881
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi NellieT,

Could she have had a middle name she used or did she go by Kate instead of Catherine?

Is she just Catherine on her birth certificate?

maidmarion  :)

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Maid Marion, her birth was registered as just Catherine and she appears on 1881 and 1891 census as Catherine. There is a Kate Thomas 1901 in Church St, Festiniog who could be Catherine and I have found a death of Catherine Thomas age 26 Sep 1907 Festiniog district. If all else fails I will obtain the death certificate but it is a long shot.  Regards nelliet

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi nelliet, Lanferres marriage Nov 24 1863.

Henry Thomas. full age. Bachelor. Miner. Llanferres. Father, William. Occ, Miner.
Mary Foulks(x) full age. Llanferres. Father, John. Occ, Engineer?
Witnesses John Foulks & James Humphreys.
(x)= didn't sign made mark. Henry signed Henary.

I couldn't see baptisms for any of their children in Llanferres :(

Paul.

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 May 10 11:47 BST (UK) »
hi Paul, Thanks for your reply. I do have Henry and Mary's marriage certificate and you have found the right parents. At least 3 of their children were born in Llanferres and one died in Llanferres at the end of 1871(Sophia). They were in Llanferres for the 1871 census but by early 1872 they were living in Coedpoeth and remained there until at least 1891. Mother Mary was born in Halkyn so I don't know whether the children were baptised there. I am not sure which church they belonged to. William married at Keswick Methodist Church. Henry died in Festiniog before daughter Sarah moved to St Helen's so I assume he was buried somewhere in Festiniog.
I feel sure there are more children that I am unaware of. Henry and Mary married in Nov 1863 and their eldest child William was born in January 1866. There was time for another child to have been born before 1866 who maybe died before the 1871 census.
I wish I had an easier name to work with! Thanks again NellieT

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 May 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
I have finally purchased the certificate for the death of Catherine Thomas in 1907 which I suspected was the right person and was both relieved and surprised to find I had got something right!
She died of TB on 7 Aug 1907 in Rhiw, Blaenau Ffestiniog. Her brother in law William Williams registered the death. Nellie